5BTD3

2006 Chevy Aveo Acceleration Problem Solved

1 post in this topic

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to share a problem I recently had with  my 2006 Chevy Aveo and how I fixed the problem. My hope is that this may be helpful for others who may have experienced the same problem.

I bought the Aveo about 3 years ago and it currently has over 75,000 miles on it. Up until a couple weeks ago it ran fine. One day I drove it and then parked it for a awhile when I went for a walk. When I got back in to go home it started fine.

However, as I drove it home I could not go over 20-25 miles per hour. When I tried to accelerate faster the vehicle would just dog down (slow down and start lurching). It just seemed to lose power when I tried to go faster than 20-25 MPH.

When I got it home I noticed that it was also idling erratically.  That is it would idle high then low, repeating that pattern.

I looked under the hood and found a small vacuum hose that had a tear in it. So I replaced it thinking that had to be the problem. But nope, that did not fix the problem. Golly Darn!

So I went online and did some searching for information about this problem. I somehow came to the conclusion that it was likely the fuel pump and I started to remove it. Replacing the fuel pump in an Aveo may be difficult but it seemed like it would be much easier than when I replaced the one in my old Dodge Caravan.

Fortunately I only got as far as detaching the wiring harness from the pump when I decided to go another direction. While pricing fuel pumps online the price range was from about $75 to $325. And in my experience the cheapest part is not always good part. So if I spent a couple hundred dollars on a fuel pump and that did not solve the problem, well I would be out a couple hundred dollars and be very annoyed about that.

One of the other things that could cause the problems I was experiencing was the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR). So I reasoned that it was much cheaper and easier to replace the EGR valve than the fuel pump. And if it did not solve the problem, well, I still had a new EGR valve in my car.

I went ahead and bought it online (Amazon I think) and paid $35 for it. It was very easy to install taking about 20 minutes. And it worked, solving my problem.

I was a little worried at first because it did that erratic idling when it started. But once I took it out on the road and ran it there was no acceleration problem at all! When I got home and parked the car was idling normally and that idle problem had stopped. So I do not know what to make of that. But I'm not complaining either.

So if you have a Chevy Aveo and are suddenly experiencing erratic idling along with lack of power to accelerate, consider replacing the EGR valve first. Sorry for this post being so long.

5BTD3