Sign in to follow this  
greatwhiteshark000

I Am Constantly Denting my Rims Suggestions!!

14 posts in this topic

I drive in NYC where there are a lot of potholes. I try to avoid as many as possible and sometimes I don't see one sneak up on me and my car goes down.

I know that my rim that hit the pothole got dented and I get so peeved. Is there a way that this doesn't occur like stronger material for rims or something to protect the edges?

How do people drive and get no dents on any of the rims in this pothole ridden city.

I have rims and I live in Pa where Penn DOT does nothing for the roads but all I can say is dodge the holes and just keep your eyes open. Also what size tires do you have. I have 205/45/16 and I know I've hit a couple holes and thankfully nothing has gone wrong. If you have 40's all I can say is maybe move up to 45 or 50's so you have a little more tire between the rim and the road it might help a little. I know a guy who hit one hole and dent three of his 18inch rims that cost a lot of money. So all you can do is be careful. Hope that helps. :D

I have the 17incher tires, stock Eclipse GT rims. Is there a type of rim metal that won't dent thats like made of Military titanium?

I mean its the worst you don't see a pothole and bam you know for sure its dented. What about rims that curve back into the tire?

Magnesium wheels are very light, but are brittle. Even though magnesium burns (and can't be put out with normal means), fire isn't a problem with wheels. But they might crack much easier than aluminum or steel alloys.

Hitting things with your wheels will bend them, no way around that. You have 3000+lbs of force behind the wheel when it hits whatever object (in your case potholes, but curbs are just as deadly), so it's gonna bend (or break), regardless of what it's made of.

The only thing that protects wheels, other than avoiding obstacles as best you can, is taller tires with more sidewall cushion. That's why offroad tires have so much sidewall height. It cushions against rocks and debris. offroad conditions require offroad equipment. After driving around DC, I can see why so many people drive SUVs anymore. Back home in Seattle, we have smoother offroad trails than the streets around here...