Sign in to follow this  
hello-1

How to buy a 25+ year old car in Mexico and register it in the USA?

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I am from the USA currently in Mexico City. I need to travel back to the USA with my dog and bicycle. It seems it would be better to just buy a old car to drive back,  than to pay the high cost for a flight to the USA with my dog and bicycle.

I learned about the 25 year old car rule. That says, If a vehicle is at least 25 years old, the car does not need to meet EPA compliance or DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

I would like to register the car in California, but I read that different states have different rules about the 25 year rule. Is maybe Arizona, New Mexico or Texas easier?

I hope I understand this law correctly. 
Thanks so much for any knowledge or advice. 

I did some more research. First I called CA Department of Motor Vehicles Imported Auto Unit. They say the car needs to pass a smog test and have a emissions sticker or a letter from the manufacturer. Sounds unlikely it could happen. Next I called the Texas DMV. So much easier than Calif. Just go to Jiffylube etc. and get a basic safety inspection. No smog tests or emissions sticker or a letter from the manufacturer. 

That's great, because my current drivers license is also from Texas. So I hope the info about Texas is correct. 

Let me toss another idea out there on the table...  Place an ad to see if anybody around that area is looking to transport their car to the USA.  You make arrangements to deliver their car and you get your bike and dog moved in the process. 

This used to be a common occurrence in years past.  There used to be a company (I think it was called "Auto-Drive-Away") that helped get drivers lined up with cars that needed to be transported.  I'd check that out before going to all the trouble with governmental red tape in buying / registering cars.