Sign in to follow this  
Keith Tenpas

Can I Import Vehicle Without Original Bill of Lading?

1 post in this topic

Greetings!

Last week, I purchased a vehicle from a Japanese site after making complete verifications. Though I have paid them and they have sent me the payment receipt, but now, we are having shipment issues. Actually, they want to courier me original bill of lading via EMS, but I am worried what if I didn't get this original bill at a time or in case of damage or loss. That's why after reading this article https://www.jluggage.com/blog/shipping/what-is-surrendered-bill-of-lading/ I am thinking to ask them for a surrendered bill of payment. As I have already paid them so after making payment to the carrier, I can get the ownership of vehicle which would arrive at the port in a few days.

Do you think the use of the surrendered bill of lading is safer than the use of the original bill? According to my friends, I am only overthinking, and it is always better to proceed with the original bill of lading to avoid customs issues. Is it true? Can custom officers make it delay if I import vehicle via surrender bill of lading? I am very much confused, and I hope you guys would suggest me the right options.

Your experiences & opinions are also welcome. 

BMW-SRTI-original-1.jpg