Sign in to follow this  
Pat147852

2003 Toyota Rav4

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I recently bought a 2003 Toyota Rav4 and shortly after I purchased it I noticed white smoke coming out of the tail pipe.  It's most apparent at start up and goes away after a few seconds, but also appears when I hit the gas.  I'm not too sure but it may be getting worse.  Some other symptoms include a rough idle and a rich fuel smell coming from the exhaust (I ran a fuel pressure test but it seems healthy at 45psi) and a rattling noise coming from under the valve cover that sounds like a loose timing chain (I have a timing chain tensioner on order. Hopefully I don't need a new chain).  

So far to address the idling issue I have cleaned the maf sensor, cleaned the IAC valve, and tested it for vacuum leaks (I found one but it had little impact on the rough idle).  I have also changed the oil and spark plugs.  Any advise out there?  And no I didn't see the smoke when I purchased it, likely because it was already running that day and the smoke is most apparent at a cold start up.  

I suggest that it would really be best to go and ask a professional mechanic for advice (since they will be able to see how serious your situation is). Also, if things still get worse, I know Toyota has service centers you can go to. Best of luck! I hope things will get better with your car. Keep safe!