Sign in to follow this  
maverick

Honda Civic.. vulnerable and weak?

19 posts in this topic

Hi.. newspapers just reported a horror accident.. a young kid (21 yrs old) on the way to Sepang to watch the F1 race lost his life on the highway.. In the crash, his Honda Civic (SI) broke up into three pieces.. his Vtec engine came to a rest not far from the engine bay.. and the rest of the car was on another side of the road..

Is it true that Honda cars dont have much strength in terms of body structure? Also.. are they too light? There have been many cases of Hondas suddenly losing control at high speeds..

*open for discussion*

They are very light, but if my rusty Accord can hold together perfectly fine at highway speed then anything newer can probably do the same. BTW, since when is being light bad?

My psychic powers tell me that Rob is right...the kid was probably speeding and did a mistake that cost him his life.

I don't believe any car sold in North America today is too light for highway driving, IF you stay withing legal speed limits. I have a 15 year old Jetta, which is even lighter than that Civic, uses far worse suspension geometry, and looks like a brick. Yet it feels safe and controllabe at 110km/h which is the speed limit here in Canada. At 150-160km/h it does start feeling very light and generally unpredictible, but the car wasn't meant to be doing that kind of speed.

Just wanted to say this. A helicopter around Toronto caught this York University student going 228km/h (just barely 140 mph) on his Integra. I dunno which one, but probably it wasn't modified. It's the driver's fault. 3 pieces? Hondas can't do that.

I've seen some seriously bizzare wrecks left at salvage yards, where you wonder how the hell the driver managed to do that. And I saw a couple cars get cut in half hitting telephone poles. One of which was a 57 Chevy 4dr. those shouldn't split in half, either, but this one came a part between the front and rear doors. Dude lived, mostly because he was so drunk. Hit at the right speed and angle, a car, any car, will come apart much like race cars do.

A friend of mine just got a '91 CRX, it dosen't get much lighter than that, probably the lightest car you'll ever see driving around on the streets. He's had the thing goin damn near 100, and went over a sharp small hill at 65 or so, the car didn't even leave the ground.

I hope 'ruffryders' was in that civic. Maverick are you counting the engine as 1 of the 3 parts? That would be more likely than the chasis splitting into three parts.

In N.Z. some guy killed himself because his RX-7 TT broke up in a crash. Turns out his car was made from 2 put together. The front from one wrecked in the ass and the back from one that had been in a head-on collision.

Its pretty hard to break cars in half unless you are going at some insane speeds or they have been weakened somehow like in america some crazy assholes turn teir NSX's from hardtops into targa-tops and when they crash because their cars are so weakened they just break up.

Originally posted by Joe Blo

Just wanted to say this. A helicopter around Toronto caught this York University student going 228km/h (just barely 140 mph) on his Integra. I dunno which one, but probably it wasn't modified. It's the driver's fault. 3 pieces? Hondas can't do that.

Was he in a chase or they just noticed this guy flying? You got any more info. on that?

Originally posted by LotusGT1

A car isn't supposed to break in three parts, no matter how fast you drive...

Yeah.. the engine was one of the three parts..

The papers didnt say how fast the driver was going.. but my estimate was arnd 190 kmph... :rolleyes: (just an estimate)..

I am not saying that light is bad.. dont you think too light is too bad?

Regarding the Rx 7 TT that was constructed from two different RX 7s.. I seen a mercedes benz with a E200 front and a S class butt.. very nice shape.. :D

Back in SIngapore.. we have a slope.. where alot of cars can almost fly.. (albeit for awhile) Civics crashed there quite alota times... :D

And just to clear the air.. i am NOT dissing HOnda cars.. :D

Originally posted by Chris V.

I've seen some seriously bizzare wrecks left at salvage yards, where you wonder how the hell the driver managed to do that. And I saw a couple cars get cut in half hitting telephone poles. One of which was a 57 Chevy 4dr. those shouldn't split in half, either, but this one came a part between the front and rear doors. Dude lived, mostly because he was so drunk. Hit at the right speed and angle, a car, any car, will come apart much like race cars do.

but the car did not hit anything before the accident.. according to the report.. it juz lost control MYSTERIOUSLY.. :)

And the driver was not drunk.. and i cannot rule out the possibility of driver error too..

No info, sorry. I doubt that you can find any. It happened like a year ago. A helicopter caught the Integra on his radar at 228km/h. Dunno what happened to him. See that Hondas can go fast? Go ask some other Torontonians, they should have heard of it. Ha, I heard some guys were passing beer at each other on the highway and this guys standing up on his motorcycle to impress some girls speeding on the highway.

No. Not much more than any other compact cars.

But, maybe he unknowingly bought a "chop-shop" model.

Do you think the Malaysian government is going to admit they have a huge stolen vehicles market?

I doubt cars will fall apart otherwise.

(impacts into posts notwithstanding)