Sign in to follow this  
mecca tt

996 Turbo -VS- Viper GTS

128 posts in this topic

LOtus GT1, Here are the specs on the GTS-ACR, according to Motor Trends' November issue (if you're still interested):

0-60=4.16sec.

0-100-0=14.37

1 mile acceleration=30.49/164.55

slalom/600 feet/mph=70.80

1/4 mile=12.19/119.15

Braking 60-0,feet=121

Maximum Lateral G=0.99

front engine/rwd

v-10,ohv,2valves/cyl.

Displacement,ci.cc=487.6/7990

HP=460 at 5200

Torque=500 at 3700

6 speed manual transmission

brakes f/r=13 in. vented all around

Wheelbase=96.2

curb weight=3,450

Originally posted by Porschefile1

.But at the track there are other factors you guys haven't considered yet, like pitfalls with the Viper.  With gobs of torque comes gobs of rubber and lots of melted tires and a shitload more pitstops than the Porsche.  But on those pit stops you might as well fill it up, because it consumes gas much faster than the Turbo.  Then there are those high speed turns, the Porsche has the downforce to cancel out the lift, but I don't think the Viper can handle it.  So should the Porsche stop after you hit the wall on a high speed curve or should it keep going to show off its legendary reliability.  Despite the ACR Viper being a track car the Porsche still beats it, and in its civilized camoflage none the less.

[Edited by Porschefile1 on 10-19-2000 at 09:47 PM]

It's odd how you follow fact with assumptions about pitstops and fantasy about the Viper not handling the high speed turns as well and bullshit about hitting a wall and driving away. Hmmmm...

I know that the Porsche is better in the long run. No doubt.

I suggest you stick to the numbers instead of biased garbage, though.

Im not sure if its the same cars but ill just add my 2 cents.. Here in Australia they run a class called GTP

Nations Cup, that has Porsche's, Ferrari 360 challenge's, Lamborghini Diablo, Vipers etc.. Overall on the tracks the Porsche is consistantly quick at nearly all race tracks, as too is the Ferrari. But the only problem with the Vipers are their brakes!! They have plently of mumbo down the straight but it doesnt nearly have the same braking power as the Porsche or Ferrari. So that probably is the reason the Porsche kicks the Viper at the ring.. but if they had similar brakes I think the Vipers would win hands down.. but it doesnt..

It all comes down to the same thing over and over again. Are you willing to pay extra money for quality and class ??? Because that's what it's about in the end: the price. And that's not what a supercar should be judged on...

Btw, if I look at the motortrend site, I wish I was a testdriver for a magazine. That must be a fantastic job....

Jamesam, the only assumption I made was about the lift on the Viper, I know that at about 180mph the Porsche has no lift, I am still not sure about the Viper. As for petrol consumption it is a well known fact that the Viper is horrible and that the Porsche 996 Turbo does pretty well, at about 19mpg. About the torque, it is also a known fact that the Viper has lots of it, Porsche has its share coming out of the flat 6 but the Porsche has four drive wheels to send it through, which means you get on the gas harder and earlier with the Turbo. In the Viper you have to moderate the throttle and attempt to keep the rear tires hooked up, you can't go to full throttle right out of the turn with nearly 500 foot pounds, otherwise you'll run through a set of tires like Firestones on an Explorer. So again, the Porsche has better fuel consumption and manages the tires better, which in turn leads to faster laps for a longer period of time. The Viper doesn't stand a chance.

I dig the "Firestones on an Explorer" comment.:)

With an experienced driver behind the wheel the torque problem in and out of corners is handled properly.

The fuel(petrol) problem also becomes a non-factor.

Winston is correct about the Vipers handling Porsches on tracks-refer to the ALMS. There's a reason they don't race in the same class.

We did not state which model of Viper nor 911 we are comparing, however.

I'm hoping that LotusGT1 comes back with numbers because I won't have the time this evening to look them up.

Jamesam, they do race in the same class. Porsche 911 GT2-R vs Dodge Viper GTS-R. The race I was at there were 2 Vipers (Team Oreca) and one Porsche. Next year should be better competition. But Porsche also races in the GT class(a step below GTS). Maybe thats why you were confused.

The 911GT2s get beaten because of the jacked up rules! Not because the Vipers are all that better. Restrictor rules have just destroyed the power and efficiency of their engines. The Vipers have had a HP advantage since they entered the GT2/GTS class. The 993 chassis is old but that engine COULD make just as much power as the Vipers or Vettes. Plus get better race fuel mileage which IS huge in racing. Sad but the cars have had to lose with one hand tied behind their back.

Originally posted by diablo roadster

so i guess people like this topic eh?

The rule of thumb here for large topics is: pit two icons against each other, proclaim one as better, and watch the pages multiply. The Viper/911 base of fans here is healthy, I see this topic getting a few more pages...

Well, I didn’t make this topic for pages and pages of replies.. It actually began as a argument over icq between me and Kepone. I prefer the Porsche. Its more car.