Sign in to follow this  
clax

Twin-Turbo on a I-4

16 posts in this topic

I know that any car can have a twin turbo, but it has to have space. Doesnt mean itll be better than a single turbo, but you can do it. The legacy is an H4 and it has twin turbos. With parallel setup turbos, you need two headers that connect to the turbo. With a sequential setup, it places two turbos on one pipe.

Rough illustration for sequential:

First 00 is smaller turbo, second OO is larger turbo, then muffler.

==============00==============OO===========| |-

Yes, sequential means they are stacked, the same exhaust gas goes through two turbines.

There wouldn't be much point on putting two non-sequential turbos on a I4 because the pressure built up is divided when there is no reason to do so.

With a V setup, twin turbos (non-sequential) makes sense because of the geometry of the engine, and backpressure can be reduced by having dual exhausts.

If you did that on a four, the advantage of having more, smaller turbos (spool up time) would be negated, because less pressure would get to each turbine, and you would end up with the same spool up time (roughly).

A sequential turbo might make sense, because it combines the advantages of smaller and larger turbines. The small one spools up fast, providing power in the low rpm range, then the larger one takes over with it's longer spool up time, but greater boost and volume of air.

Originally posted by Xtreme Integra TypeR

new tegra is reportedly gonna have a Quad-Turbo.

yeah.. wake up brother.. and of coz.. SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

for all i know.. you could be driving a stupid old honda with 68 bhp.. not some integra..

Hehe, I'm starting to think he's just a joke name to get you all riled up. That last was a bit too intelligent, the sarcasm shined through. I'm refering to "You heard that too!?!?!?"

If he was serious, he wouldn't have written that.

The only question is, who is it?

ed512 is right about the benefits of a twin turbo...in that it will deliver power throughout. xtreme, you're a dipshit. come on, really. Why do you hang out here? Go home. Go back to somewhere you belong.