Sign in to follow this  
FIREWHEELS

UUUOUUUUUU That´s acceleration .......

20 posts in this topic

Um, Ferrari's engine is not all that powerful, it is believe to be about 40 bhp down on the McLaren. And according to Murray Walker(the commentator for F-1 on ITV), the 2000 MP4-15 McLaren is 830bhp(down from the 850 last year but lighter...). So the Ferrari is around 790-800bhp. Their website gives the "official" estimate around 770bhp for F1-2000's engine. Now near the end of the season, I believe they can earn about 30-50bhp when compare to the early estimate(through R&D and all that $$$....), So 850 is a fair bet. By the way, McLaren and Ferrari are not always the most powerful or the fastest in terms of top end. Arrows are actually the fastest car on the straight this year. And the 99 Steward Ford has the most powerful engine last year....

No racing maniac you are wrong, just plain wrong pal. The Maclaren was the most powerful engine last year, not the ford. Several teams run Gen II engines in the Field Ferrari, Maclaren, Ford (Jaguar), Peugot. Maclerns engine is up on power from last years unit, not down, and it doesnt way much less. Ferrari's engine is not 30-40 hp down, at a max it would be 10hp down. The reason Arrows is the quickest on some straights is not because they have powerful engines (they run the old renault unit way back from 95, rebadged as a supertech.) But becasue of low drag aerodynamics. Notice on slower tracks like Monaco, Arrows just cant cope cos they dont have the downforce. Maclaren and Ferrari's engines are no lighter than last years engines really but the lightest last year (not the most powerful was the Ford engine, around 90kg I think.) The Ford engine is good but unreliable and not that powerful. Almost all engines have over 800hp, and I know the Ferrari website says >770hp but that could mean anything. Most likely around 850hp. The 2000 049 Ferrari engine always had more than 800hp there is no way it was down at the 790 hp level.

Also for the guy who made this topic. Where did you get this telemetry from? I am intested because it is not normally released to the public. I would like to see it if I could.

Well, I don't know where you get your info from, but I am pretty sure they cut back on power with the MP4-15's V10. Last year's MP4-14 engine is rated around 850bhp, but the F399's V10 is about 10-20% lighter than the McLaren counterpart, so this year they ran the newer higher revving engine, which cuts down horsepower but also cuts back on weight. This was revealed at the during I think by Murray Walker during one of the first races this season. Now the engine is no doubt more powerful. But in the beginning of the year that was the case.

Last year's Ford is not the most powerful engine in the field, that point I admit I was wrong, but they are the 2nd most powerful engine(only 2nd to McLaren), they got 830bhp in the mid 99 season and proved to be quite competitive, it was 2 podium last year wasn't it?

Arrows' Supertec unit is the evolution of the troubled 99 unit used by BAR last year. This year it's quite powerful compared to BMW and Honda's this year. It was based on the 97 Championship winning Williams(which was a Renault(sp?))

Ferrari's engine power is quite a distance away from McLaren's. They never win races because of the dominant engine power, but extremely reliable performance and Michael Schumacher is behind the wheel. Look at the comparison between Schumi and Rubens, the difference is made up by Schumi, not the car. When compare Ferrari to the rest of the field, Ferrari has superior aerodynamic design, not superior horse power. On the highspeed track like Hockenheim, the Ferrari will not be on top of the speedtrap record(this track, they ran minimum downforce setting so it is purely engine power dictate the speed), but it was almost always McLaren and Arrows that's on top of that....

And it's McLaren, not MacLaren

Racing Maniac you have got no idea what you are talking about. The Ferrari engine has for the last two seasons been the second most powerful engine in the field and heavier than both the Maclaren and the Ford units. The Maclaren unit was never less powerful than a preceding unit because it never lost that much weight to begin with. Also a higher revving unit in the world of F1 engines is directly proportional to an increased power output. The Ford engine was a good engine, it was a gen II engine with decent power, but its main advantage was its low weight. The Supertec engines that Arrows run are not very powerful but the cars aerodynamics are very good in low downforce setup, hence the excellent speed traps (Note: at Hockenheim the Arrows posted some of the fastest top speeds, bu through the complex ran considerably slower time than most other cars, indicating that they were running less wing than competitors.) Maclaren have excellent high speed aerodynamics, adequate low speed aeros and the most powerful engine hence their high top end in low downforce, and reasonable pace in high down force. Ferrari (who have the second most powerful unit) Have inferior low downforce aeros to Maclaren, but their powerful engine allows them to post fast laptimes on low downforce circuits. Racing Maniac, you can keep pulling your crap out of your arse all your life, but:

1. Murray Walker never said that

2. Murray Walker is often wrong about things

3. You have got no idea what is going on

ok burnout.. it is McLaren not friggen Maclaren. And i do believe Mercedes is the most powerful and lightest engine in F1 today, but the Ferrari and I would say the Honda engines are not far behind. Im not sure on Honda but I have alot of respect for their F1 engines.