Sign in to follow this  
jason_ding

2001 Honda Civic: thoughts?

29 posts in this topic

I went out to check out the new Honda Civic yesterday, and my first impression was that I hated the happy-face exterior. It reminds me of the Echo. However, I'm really disappointed about how they are going towards the comfort side and leaving the performance side, which is what made the Civic such a great car in the beginning. In general I'm kind of disappointed because the Civic has always been the best economy car but it seems like it's going downhill now.

Any thoughts?

uhm, i guess it's ok....1.6 to 1.7 liters, YEHAWW!!! <-- sarcasm

when does the new Si come along? I hope they give it at least 190 horses, that'll make the sucka competitive...

well i don't know much but this is what I had been hearing: Honda had compltely redesigned the steering column which fucked up the road feel and they also dropped the double wishbone suspension and put in MavPhersons. my roommate went to go check the new Civic out at the dealer a few days ago. He said the salesman was very proud that the back had a completely flat floor. My roommate realized that ment it is now all that much easier to scrape or damage the exaust system now. think of it what you will

If you ask me the new civic is not too visually appealing, but at least it dosen't look like an Pontiac AZTEC(sp?). and since i am talking about things that i don't care for the looks of (note these don't piss me off like the AZTEC) the 2000 mustangs, RX-7's and anything that is similar in looks to a toyota flat nosed van!!!! Yuck!!!!

things have settled down a bit for me so i'm trying to get back into my old routines,

and rthompson, duid I get you right? did you say you don't like the way the RX-7 looks? I try not to argue about looks, cuz it's all opinions, but jeez! how can you not like the RX-7? o well it is what it is

Really when you think about it, most of the people that buy the Civic for its performance buy the Si. The Civic is bigger inside, more comfortable etc which appeals to the bulk of the Civic buyers so sales should probably improve or remain stable. When the Si comes later in the product cycle, with a new powerful engine and improvements, then the performance Civic buyers should be happier. There has been alot of grumbling with the short nose and how it'll limit aftermarket parts under the hood etc. but it's rather ovbious that in EX and LX [i think] Honda is not cattering to the aftermarket exactly. So probably in one or two years, there'll be a Si for people to play around with if that's what they want.

There are still rumours going around of the Type-R coming to these shores...

Honda avoided the younger market because it's a small percentage, so they made the Civic look like the FOcus, right? I don't know how the new Civic would attract the majority of their buyers (older people), if that's what they planned to do. I'll praise them if it's a success.

I told my STUPID friend who has a riced up civic about how shed tear apart all them stupid overpriced wanna be japanese F355s :) since they are quiet abundant in miami. I told her she needs an exhaust at least 5-7 inches in diameter to make her car faster by pushing the speed particles out :D

I am not a hardcore Civic fan, never was, never will be, so I don't shared the good opinion about the old one(I do have several bad one.....). And I am not a Honda fan neither.

This Civic is in fact the only Honda I've seen that appeals to me, it does not look as cheap as the old one, and it looks higher class than before. I really like how the exterior look. But once I saw the interior, I realized this is typical Honda. They really need to hire a new interior designer.

It's getting better, but not enough.....

Honda interiors have never been too stylish, but I've noticed that they are always very ergonomic. They like putting the radio and a/c controls higher up where they are easier to reach, even though they look a bit uglier.