4 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a new car. I recently had a 2003 V6 Mustang, but it was leaking and other issues so I’m looking to upgrade. I found a 2001 V6 Firebird and a 2000 GT Mustang. Which car is more worth buying? I am also considering a SE Charger if that is any better. Any help is appreciated.

Links: Firebird https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d466&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=74033&distance=150&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=246185375

Mustang https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2000-Ford-Mustang-c179#listing=248378253

• Like 1

Get the mustang gt. The pontiac has too many miles on it and im not sure how reliable the v6 is at ~184k miles on it. Ive dealt with a v8 mustang new edge and it had ~150k at first. It lasted till 201k miles, and that car was abused (lol, never really took great care of it unfortunately). The sn95 is a very strong engine, so for a new edge mustang gt at ~140k, you can drive it for a couple years without any problems, as long as you maintain it. Also its a manual, so you wont have any major transmission problems, like the automatic 01 mustang gt i drove. (The tranny started slipping a little around ~195k miles) And also ITS A V8! It sounds amazing, its fast, and its fun to drive. Just dont get pulled over :D (ps: the picture was my 2001 mustang gt. Notice that the front bumper had to be changed, because of an accident lol) edit: Also account that because it is a v8, gas consumption isnt amazing. It makes a humble 15-17 mpg depending on how you drive it, so keep that in mind. The mustang was driven a CRAP TON and had issues with fuel delivery, so i spent close to $350 a month on gas 😕  but i still loved the car, and i had a great time driving it.

066BA939-AB4D-4D2D-99E5-C9E25CED5814.jpeg

Edited by Daniel Antonio

13 minutes ago, Daniel Antonio said:

Get the mustang gt. The pontiac has too many miles on it and im not sure how reliable the v6 is at ~184k miles on it. Ive dealt with a v8 mustang new edge and it had ~150k at first. It lasted till 201k miles, and that car was abused (lol, never really took great care of it unfortunately). The sn95 is a very strong engine, so for a new edge mustang gt at ~140k, you can drive it for a couple years without any problems, as long as you maintain it. Also its a manual, so you wont have any major transmission problems, like the automatic 01 mustang gt i drove. (The tranny started slipping a little around ~195k miles) And also ITS A V8! It sounds amazing, its fast, and its fun to drive. Just dont get pulled over :D (ps: the picture was my 2001 mustang gt. Notice that the front bumper had to be changed, because of an accident lol) edit: Also account that because it is a v8, gas consumption isnt amazing. It makes a humble 15-17 mpg depending on how you drive it, so keep that in mind. The mustang was driven a CRAP TON and had issues with fuel delivery, so i spent close to $350 a month on gas 😕  but i still loved the car, and i had a great time driving it.

066BA939-AB4D-4D2D-99E5-C9E25CED5814.jpeg

I looked at the pictures more. And realized thats not a manual, its an automatic. Just remember that the mustangs transmission is average, when it comes to durability. As i mentioned it tended to slip at around 195k miles, but still drivable. Didnt have any major problems on the transmission.

Mustang all the way. I actually really like the look of the FIrebird, but I agree with Daniel about the miles & wear & tear. Not to mention you'd avoid the transmission problems with it being a stick.