2 posts in this topic

I have 2001 chevy express 3500. about 190K miles. Sometimes, a sort of white vaporous smoke will start coming up out of the hood, especially when facing down on an incline. It has an odor, but Im not quite sure how to describe it. Last time I started the car, it was whining pretty bad. Never heard that noise before, and not sure if its related to the smoke. The whining got louder when I pushed on the brake pedal, and the brakes did feel weird. they also didn't work near as good as usual/as theyre supposed to. Any idea what it could be? Brake fluid leak? I don't have any experience as a mechanic but if its a simple fix I could/have more experienced family members that could fix it. Or at least Id have an idea of the problem and the cost before I have it towed to a shop so I don't get cheated.

Many thanks!

Whining and squealing are usually a sign of worn brake pads or rotors going bad. You may just need new brake pads or rotors but I'm not sure about the White smoke or smell. At 190k miles when was the last time you changed your brakes? Brakes usually go like 30ish to 40ish thousand miles, I have 140,000 miles on my Corolla and have replaced the brake pads probably 3 times already since I bought it at 7,000 miles. I've also changed the rotors probably twice and the drum brakes once.