fanste

Main brake cylinder

5 posts in this topic

So I was wondering, can you replace your main brake cylinder with another one from different brand or different model and make of a car.

6 minutes ago, fanste said:

So I was wondering, can you replace your main brake cylinder with another one from different brand or different model and make of a car.

Not sure if you could swap it with a different brand or make. But you can use and replace your main brake cylinder with a different model.

For example you could swap a Civic EX brake cylinder with a Civic DX brake cylinder.

Edited by Nate4x4

So if I got it right, my car is toyota picnic 1996, and I could put main brake cylinder from a newer model, or could I put in from avensis verso or similar model? I mean in theory they all work the same and there should not be a problem right?

9 hours ago, fanste said:

So if I got it right, my car is toyota picnic 1996

First of all, this car ( Toyota Picnic) isn't even sold where I live.

and I could put main brake cylinder from a newer model, or could I put in from avensis verso or similar model?

Sometimes the stroke of the cylinder is of different length.

I mean in theory they all work the same and there should not be a problem right?

The only way to tell would be to physically compare them side by side to see for sure.

I think I got it, so basically they need to be same size and be able to fit. So now my question is, can I replace whole brake system and put another one from different car. For example lets say I put in my toyota brake system from porche would it work? I mean has anyone tried it cause I see on tv shows like discovery, etc. were they put in car from 1960 new and better everything, not just brakes but bigger engine, I have seen they even put transmission from whole different engine.