Cody4757

Transmission issues

6 posts in this topic

I daily drive a 1985 ElCamino and my transmission started having  with a 305 , it has 3 gears cant remember the name of the transmission, issues shifting, but if it shifts right the first time it'll work for the rest of the ride, if it messes up it won't go into 3rd usually, but if u put it in park and back into drive it'll try to shift again, also it's really cold outside, and just started warming up, so I'm guessing that can be a massive factor, is my transmission done or do u think the colds making it crappy

Edited by Cody4757

16 hours ago, Cody4757 said:

I daily drive a 1985 ElCamino and my transmission started having  with a 305 , it has 3 gears cant remember the name of the transmission, issues shifting, but if it shifts right the first time it'll work for the rest of the ride, if it messes up it won't go into 3rd usually, but if u put it in park and back into drive it'll try to shift again, also it's really cold outside, and just started warming up, so I'm guessing that can be a massive factor, is my transmission done or do u think the colds making it crappy

Well, after the vehicle is warmed up correctly, usually after a few miles, the gears should start to function normally. Does it? 

Edited by Nate4x4

I figured it out but it kinda confuses me more now, I'm low on transmission fluid, and what is in there isn't the best fluid it's getting real dark, but I just replaced the line so I wonder where it's going

9 hours ago, Cody4757 said:

I figured it out but it kinda confuses me more now, I'm low on transmission fluid, and what is in there isn't the best fluid it's getting real dark, but I just replaced the line so I wonder where it's going

Has your car been overheating?

15 hours ago, Cody4757 said:

No, it runs just fine besides the shifting

Have it checked. You might have a transmission fluid leak.

One of the main causes of a transmission fluid leak is a gap in your transmission.

This is hard to narrow down as it could be a space in a pan gasket, torque converter, fluid lines, the transmission pan, or the seals.