Nilo63

Dealership scam?!?

3 posts in this topic

Recently my parents had been having problems with their transmission in their 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan. My dad often travels to the city(Chicago) to Uber in this car. While in the city my father noticed a problem. He immediately contacted our local dodge dealership and we were told to take it to another dodge dealership closer to his location and our FULL warranty would still be honored there so that’s what we did. While the car was in their care, they fixed the transmission and serviced(oil change, etc) the car as well. 

This is when our problem starts to occur. 3 days after receiving the car back my father noticed the brakes were kind of soft and thought it was possibly the brake pads and kept putting off on making an appointment to check it out. After 19 days the brakes were to bad to drive on and got it to our local/regular dodge dealership. We do not drive this car daily, only occasionally small distances or when my dad Ubers in it. 

Our local dealership told us there was oil in the brake line quoting us for approximately $3500 plus $900 for a rental car bc the damages are NOT covered under our full warranty. We talked to our dealership and he basically told us since we drove 2000 miles since it was serviced that it was in no way their fault and if we wanted to get it covered we would have to get the other dealership to cover it because they’re independently owned. To clarify, we do not do any work to our vehicles and this is why we bought the FULL warranty. We contacted the dealership it was serviced at and they claimed they didn’t do it and told us they don’t have cameras. 

So basically, my family is left with a $4500. Their argument is since we drove it 2000 miles since the last service that there is no way it could be them. I have talked to several friends, all of which have worked at car dealerships(Chevy,Honda, and Nissan) and they say this all sounds like bs. Is it possible to drive 2k miles with oil in the brake line? And how would I go about fighting this or am I just SOL?

Thank you if you took the time to read this. Just a really crappy time rn and just trying to help my parents anyway I can but I can only do so much. Any and everything that could help is much appreciated. Thanks once again.

17 hours ago, Nilo63 said:

Recently my parents had been having problems with their transmission in their 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan. My dad often travels to the city(Chicago) to Uber in this car. While in the city my father noticed a problem. He immediately contacted our local dodge dealership and we were told to take it to another dodge dealership closer to his location and our FULL warranty would still be honored there so that’s what we did. While the car was in their care, they fixed the transmission and serviced(oil change, etc) the car as well. 

This is when our problem starts to occur. 3 days after receiving the car back my father noticed the brakes were kind of soft and thought it was possibly the brake pads and kept putting off on making an appointment to check it out. After 19 days the brakes were to bad to drive on and got it to our local/regular dodge dealership. We do not drive this car daily, only occasionally small distances or when my dad Ubers in it. 

Our local dealership told us there was oil in the brake line quoting us for approximately $3500 plus $900 for a rental car bc the damages are NOT covered under our full warranty. We talked to our dealership and he basically told us since we drove 2000 miles since it was serviced that it was in no way their fault and if we wanted to get it covered we would have to get the other dealership to cover it because they’re independently owned. To clarify, we do not do any work to our vehicles and this is why we bought the FULL warranty. We contacted the dealership it was serviced at and they claimed they didn’t do it and told us they don’t have cameras. 

So basically, my family is left with a $4500. Their argument is since we drove it 2000 miles since the last service that there is no way it could be them. I have talked to several friends, all of which have worked at car dealerships(Chevy,Honda, and Nissan) and they say this all sounds like bs. Is it possible to drive 2k miles with oil in the brake line? And how would I go about fighting this or am I just SOL?

Thank you if you took the time to read this. Just a really crappy time rn and just trying to help my parents anyway I can but I can only do so much. Any and everything that could help is much appreciated. Thanks once again.

I have no idea how oil can even get into the brake system....

And even if there's oil in the brake system, it wouldn't cost $4500 to flush it...

I have no idea how oil would have entered the brake system other than accidentally grabbing the wrong bottle for a top up.

Having said, once oil is introduced to a brake system, every part that has a rubber part MUST by replaced.

So that would be the master cylinder, brake hoses and all the calipers.