Jump to content
MatthewPR

Rust repair estimate

108 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Nate4x4 said:

That's a pity, Matt...

Yes, I myself have transported large items like that before, but remember, I have a truck and your car is a sporty coupe. Isn't it a 2-door...2-seater?

I would at least try, cause it just might fit.

Would you happen to have any friends or buddies that own trucks or even vans up there? They could lend you a hand and help you out.

I'd be very concerned with the possibility of damage to the car roof. If scraped, you'll just eventually have another rust spot to deal with. 

Unless you're considering something like this...which would take sometime to build.

Please let me know you're thoughts...

It's a two door, but it's actually technically a five seater. 

Here's the back.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RafwBFQD7GpLBNVzt41ZzJp-FReJAnED

I think the door would fit in the back.

If not though, I'm thinking maybe the guys at the junkyard could help me the get the lock and window out of my door and put the new door on, maybe.

I have a friend with an SUV, and two of my uncles have trucks, but I'd rather not borrow one of theirs unless absolutely necessary. 

As for the roof idea, I was thinking of putting padding down, but yeah, it's probably not the best idea. 

Edited by MatthewPR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upade:

I just measured the door, and it's not looking hopeful for putting the door in the car. Maybe I would do it, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

Upgrade:

I just measured the door, and it's not looking hopeful for putting the door in the car. Maybe I would do it, but I certainly wouldn't count on it. 

Does your Cobalt have a tow-hitch by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2rm4fbt.jpg.a36e1d2126201d6fbcc465919f42f36a.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MatthewPR said:

Nah, it doesn't

🤧

Edited by Nate4x4
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MatthewPR said:

I'm thinking it'll have to be put on at the junkyard, either by me or somebody else. 

Seems to be the only option.

Try to get a hold of them and see if they would be willing to do that for you.

You want to make sure your not going to drive over there for nothing. That would be a pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nate4x4 said:

Seems to be the only option.

Try to get a hold of them and see if they would be willing to do that for you.

You want to make sure your not going to drive over there for nothing. That would be a pain. 

Yeah I will,

Hopefully they'd be willing to do it for free.

If not, I could always offer a cash incentive to convince them.

In the meantime, I'm you-tubing videos of window and lock cylinder removal. 

Edited by MatthewPR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

Yeah I will,

Hopefully they'd be willing to do it for free.

If not, I could always offer a cash incentive to convince them.

I hope so too, Matt.

I'll be sure to let you know if I have any other ideas regarding this.

Edited by Nate4x4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nate4x4 said:

I hope so too, Matt.

We shall see soon enough.

If shipping the door was fairly cheap, I'd be open to that, but I'm pretty sure that'd be absurdly expensive. 

Edited by MatthewPR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

We shall see soon enough.

If shipping the door was fairly cheap, I'd be open to that, but I'm pretty sure that'd be absurdly expensive. 

How far is the yard from where you live?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nate4x4 said:

How far is the yard from where you live?

About 30-40 minutes.

It's almost two hours from where the car would get repaired though.

At the minimum, I'd need to get the window and lock out of my old door, and it would be nice to have them put into the new door, but that isn't necessary as I could just have the tech school do it for me. 

Although, if the yellow was a close enough match, they wouldn't even have to color match it to the rest of the car.

If that was so, and I got the lock and window into the new door, that would be all set and I wouldn't have to worry about the door anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

About 30-40 minutes.

It's almost two hours from where the car would get repaired though.

At the minimum, I'd need to get the window and lock out of my old door, and it would be nice to have them put into the new door, but that isn't necessary as I could just have the tech school do it for me. 

Although, if the yellow was a close enough match, they wouldn't even have to color match it to the rest of the car.

If that was so, and I got the lock and window into the new door, that would be all set and I wouldn't have to worry about the door anymore. 

True. But have you done that before? Taken the lock and window out of the car door?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

×