MatthewPR

Rust repair estimate

29 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MatthewPR said:

Well, looking at one of the rocker panels more, I've taken two pictures

https://drive.google.com/open?id=178GKsxsIVuD0Ip5wAF1eyJM78A36CA7s

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17cnrUS3ozVxZSHeZVOfn5n5UYJfaz6ai 

This is the right passenger rocker at the rear, this part does indeed look rotted. There is no rust further up.

I'm hoping that just this part be cut out and replaced, because the rest of the panel looks and feels fine. 

Also, this is going to be done at that tech school in the future, and they only charge 20 per hour for labor.

Any thoughts?

Yeah Matt, it does look indeed rotted.

Now this tech school....is it reputable? Have they done stuff like this before? Are customers satisfied with their work?

You wouldn't want to pay these guys for an nonprofessional unfinished job.

Make sure you have the best knowledge that is possible regarding this so there will be no regrets to later arise.

This is my advise, feel free to reject it. 

BTW: Thanks for the update...:D...

Yeah they've done stuff like this before. I'm going to talk around and find out more about their work though. 

And you're very welcome

Edited by MatthewPR

97 Tacoma door lock. 

When opening door I have to have key turned and held in unlock position and from inside I have to hold up on lock to open door. Any one know what might be the issue?

6 hours ago, MatthewPR said:

Yeah they've done stuff like this before. I'm going to talk around and find out more about their work though. 

Great! Look forward to hearing again from you, best wishes...

Now I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but here, we have a good amount of technical high schools, they teach the kids everything from automotive to electronics.

One of the things they do is a student run business, so kids from electrical will work on power lines and stuff, automotive kids on cars and so on.

The reason they charge so little for this stuff is because you're paying them by letting the kids learn.

If I had to do this at a actually body shop.....well.

Hopefully they can work on my car soon, within a few weeks.

In the meantime, I've just been rinsing the areas with clean water after driving.

19 hours ago, MatthewPR said:

Now I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but here, we have a good amount of technical high schools, they teach the kids everything from automotive to electronics.

One of the things they do is a student run business, so kids from electrical will work on power lines and stuff, automotive kids on cars and so on.

The reason they charge so little for this stuff is because you're paying them by letting the kids learn.

That's neat! No, I personally am not too familiar with children learning and working on cars, but it does sound edifying. 

19 hours ago, MatthewPR said:

In the meantime, I've just been rinsing the areas with clean water after driving. 

This isn't a 'have to' if the roads are relatively clean. (I'm assuming it's not)

One of the main things that will really corrode your car is salt, and this a huge obstacle on the roads especially in winter time. Solution = Yearly take your car to a maintenance auto-shop to get your car undercoated with high-grade defending oil.

Another element that will damage and disintegrate your car is driving fast over dirt/gravel roads. The rocks and stones that will fly up underneath your car are like pieces of glass chipping away at your deliberate frame. Solution = Drive slower over dirt roads.

If these things are not taken into proper consideration; The result is a car not able to reach it's full potential.

49 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

I'm guessing you need different rockers for the coupe and sedan, right?

As far as I know, they both measure the same length.

The only difference I heard between the two cars is the door situation.

On the coupe the side skirts would fit a sedan but need some slight modifications to make them fit.

Hmm, I had a thought

What if for that door, I just had them replace the door instead of repairing it.

That way, you could be certain the rust wouldn't come back.

There's a few yellow doors from cobalt coupes in junkyards nearby that are like 100-200 dollars.

I don't know how easy it is for a shop to match the paint to the rest of the car though. 

And of course, you'd have to transfer the lock cylinder from the old door.

Does my door idea seem feasible? 

I would assume they all used the same yellow.

and of course, the paint is bound to look a tiny different, fading and such.

Still, I could replace the door myself without a shop.

21 hours ago, MatthewPR said:

Does my door idea seem feasible? 

Still, I could replace the door myself without a shop.

Hi Matt, sorry for the late reply....

Yes, your idea actually seems like a very good idea.

Have you ever done this before? My only concerns would be, like you said, transfering the lock cylinder from the old door.

Although I don`t think it would be too difficult of a task, be sure to at least study the owners manual (if you have it) to get extra insight and knowledge.

21 hours ago, MatthewPR said:

And as for the paint, well I don't think that should be an issue.

Just choose a door with the matching paint color to you're car and if you wish, compare them and start from there.