MatthewPR

Rust repair estimate

139 posts in this topic

Hello everybody

I'm new here, this is my first time posting, so I apologize in advance if I've screwed something up.

I have a little rust damage on my car. I want to know how easy this kind of rust is to repair. 

The first two links are of the door, just different views.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GvLunh5EuaGr7LiKj2Mm1AdORSA02C5b

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-aW32v-NqfLl7cYTF8Y105uKs59kDITY

The next two are different areas.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rWqt-pr-KdNJ4ekOHH42GPvPKzRtMB6j

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R8SEq26WMJUbW9DuNfdyUDYXfTpXICcX

Also, I'm hopefully going to have the repair done at a technical high school and I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they don't charge labor, just the price of the materials.

Thank you all and I hope to have some good input soon.

Welcome. Would you be able to provide us your location?

I don't know for sure, but from what I can see....it doesn't look too severe. 

The materials for one of those jobs can range from $50 to $75, and labor could cost an extra $60 to $100.

Major repairs can be identified by rust spots that are larger than 12 inches in diameter.

Now, If the rust is located deep into the rocker panels, it will be a lot more costly. 

A professional rocker panel replacement from a body repair shop can run anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000 or more.

Part of the reason is the additional work required for neat, clean installations, such as the removal of car doors.

Edited by Nate4x4

From what it looks like, the rust is not deep in the rocker panels. I highly doubt that they would need to be replaced. 

Say they did need to be replaced. How difficult would you say that would be to do on your own? Not a neat job, but just one that replaces the panels and paints them the same color of the rest of the car.

5 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

Say they did need to be replaced. How difficult would you say that would be to do on your own? Not a neat job, but just one that replaces the panels and paints them the same color of the rest of the car. 

Pretty hard, almost impossible for the DIY'er unless you're real good with a welder. The rockers are welded on and will need to be cut off and new pieces welded. Labor will be pretty hard. 

Also, how long does it take for rust like this to spread? I really love this car and I want it to last for a long time, but I won't be able to get it down for work probably for at least a month. 

10 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

Also, how long does it take for rust like this to spread? I really love this car and I want it to last for a long time, but I won't be able to get it down for work probably for at least a month. 

Rust does not "spread". The metals in your car are constantly trying to be in their normal state, a metallic oxide.

Undercoatings help to prevent this but as time passes the coatings weaken and loses its ability to protect your car from corrosion.

Constant exposure to salts, rain etc does not help. A weak area in the car enables the salts and electrolytes to attack the surface quicker so the corrosion becomes worse. 

Edited by Nate4x4

The worst thing for it will be salt on the roads. Washing it off with clear water as much as possible will help.

Edited by Nate4x4

So I should just keep it clean and avoid driving it in poor conditions. Also, you wouldn't expect the repair to be too difficult?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first car and I'm clueless about all these things. 

20 minutes ago, MatthewPR said:

Also, you wouldn't expect the repair to be too difficult?

Yes, keeping it clean and driving in good weather conditions with slow down the rusting process.

Also, you wouldn't expect the repair to be too difficult?

From what I can see in the photos, which you uploaded (mind you, it's always harder to judge from pictures) the rust appears minor. But I cannot be certain.

The best thing would be to have it brought to a local reputable auto-shop and have them access the rust and corrosion.

They will be able to give you a more direct and reliable reality of the costs and expenses needed for a satisfactory repair. 

I don't want to be wild guessing around and run the risk of giving you an incomplete answer that will lead you to more trouble, effort, and time.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first car and I'm clueless about all these things. 

No probs, and BTW, I am also 17...and pretty much the only regular posting member on this forum. I am learning many things myself and to be honest, I am not a professional yet. :D But I am more than happy to help you...if I can...

Edited by Nate4x4

Okay, sounds good, thanks very much man.

Hopefully I'll get it down there soon and everything will be resolved.

Keep on rolling, and hopefully we'll all keep learning as time goes on. 

1 minute ago, MatthewPR said:

Okay, sounds good, thanks very much man.

Hopefully I'll get it down there soon and everything will be resolved.

Keep on rolling, and hopefully we'll all keep learning as time goes on. 

Hope everything turns out for you, Matt. Best wishes...and feel free to update us on what happens.

Well, looking at one of the rocker panels more, I've taken two pictures

https://drive.google.com/open?id=178GKsxsIVuD0Ip5wAF1eyJM78A36CA7s

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17cnrUS3ozVxZSHeZVOfn5n5UYJfaz6ai

This is the right passenger rocker at the rear, this part does indeed look rotted. There is no rust further up.

I'm hoping that just this part be cut out and replaced, because the rest of the panel looks and feels fine. 

Also, this is going to be done at that tech school in the future, and they only charge 20 per hour for labor.

Any thoughts?