PLKelly

New battery won't hold charge

6 posts in this topic

I have a Kia 2002 Sportage.  Worked fine when I first got it, but after a couple days without driving it, the battery was dead.  Recharged and it would do the same thing over and over (not start after a couple days).  Bought a new battery and everything was fine for a while, but then it started doing it again.  Have had it  to two mechanics who can find nothing wrong.  It is particularly bad when it rains -- dead as a doornail.   Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

19 hours ago, PLKelly said:

I have a Kia 2002 Sportage.  Worked fine when I first got it, but after a couple days without driving it, the battery was dead.  Recharged and it would do the same thing over and over (not start after a couple days).  Bought a new battery and everything was fine for a while, but then it started doing it again.  Have had it  to two mechanics who can find nothing wrong.  It is particularly bad when it rains -- dead as a doornail.   Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

Here’s a quick rundown of some of the most common causes of a battery that won’t hold a charge:

• You’ve left your lights on, or some other accessory that draws battery power even when your car isn’t running.
  • When you drive the car, the battery isn’t getting recharged, i.e., there is a mechanical charging problem.
  • There is a parasitic electrical drain on the battery, possibly caused by a bad alternator.

1 hour ago, PLKelly said:

All of those things have been checked, but nothing found.  Thank you for responding.

Poor cable and/or connections, Voltage regulator, short circuit.

Search YouTube tutorials videos to how to made test for every component.

Normally car parts stores can help you with some of these tests for free.

I think the best solution for this is to bring your car to an auto shop so that they can further look into this matter. As you already tried most of the possible action to do. Hope this helps!