Tazike

Does rotors and calipers have to be replaced in pairs?

7 posts in this topic

My breaks on my 2015 Hyundai Elantra have seen their last days. Took it to a mechanic yesterday and was told that pads, rotors and calipers have to be replaced at the small price of $1200. 

They claimed that the rotors are $75 each and the calipers $320 each. According to them these need to be replaced on both sides even though only one side is damaged. They said that if you do only one side the other side will give out within months and cause more problems. 

Is this ttue? Or could I do one side now and the other in a few month? I don’t quite trust these guys so I wanted to verify it with someone else  

Is anyone knowledgeable about this!

thanks! 

18 hours ago, Tazike said:

I don’t quite trust these guys so I wanted to verify it with someone else  

Well, first off...you shouldn't be going to an auto-center that you don't trust.

Edited by Nate4x4

I realize that that’s a good rule to live by but being a female with limited knowledge about cars I don’t trust any mechanic not to try to gouge me. They could tell me anything and I would have no clue if they’re lying to me or not. That’s why I’m trying to do some research and ask questions from people without an agenda. 

14 hours ago, Tazike said:

They could tell me anything and I would have no clue if they’re lying to me or not. That’s why I’m trying to do some research and ask questions from people without an agenda. 

Right! So, find an auto-center with good customer reviews and excellent reputation.

That way you'll have the assurance that no one is gonna take advantage of your ignorance or rip you off.

Edited by Nate4x4

We too it to Pep Boys and they have pretty good reviews. All I want to know is if calipers have to be replaced in pairs. Only one is damaged. Do I really need to put one in one the other side too. That’s my only question.

4 hours ago, Tazike said:

We too it to Pep Boys and they have pretty good reviews. All I want to know is if calipers have to be replaced in pairs. Only one is damaged. Do I really need to put one in one the other side too. That’s my only question.

Calipers do not need to be replaced in pairs.  It's perfectly fine to replace just one side. 

But discs and pads are always repaired in pairs.

Edited by Nate4x4

Often the problem with calipers is actually the sliders seizing up, if one side needs to be serviced then the other is probably not far behind and should be looked at.