Daltonhm8

Daily 96 Subaru Impreza Outback?

2 posts in this topic

I purchased a 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback from a family friend about 6 months ago. It's been very reliable and has started everytime. Only problems are struts and squeaky CV axles, which I'm getting replaced very soon, and no A/C (air compressor) and the paint is chipping. I've kept up with oil changes, and the previous owner did a lot of preemptive maintenance. Should I keep the car until I can afford something better, or fix it up and keep it as a daily driver? Thanks!

DEA0EFEE-11A8-4C44-A602-32AABAD8A6D8.jpeg

8FE774B8-9B4C-42D2-A8A3-B0FF6B6921A4.jpeg

D4688368-0422-42E0-BC29-D8B05B6B6C58.jpeg

Struts cost between $725 and $750 for a set, including installation.

Shocks cost less than struts, typically between $100 and $150 apiece, according to experts.

It typically takes two to three hours to replace shocks and struts, according to highly rated mechanics. (This is already not worth it)

------------------------------------

The costs for a double axle joint replacement are, as you might expect, around twice the cost of a single.

Costs can range from $149 to $399 for parts, while parts and labor will range from $235 to $1178 depending on the amount of work involved.

-----------------

My Input: For a car of this age (1996), you are spending altogether more money per year in maintenance than if you would use that money to buy a newer car with less problems.