Vernoss

Should I buy this Kia Spectra5?

4 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am new to the forum, but I've joined for the purpose of getting advice on buying a new (used) car, and I hope to come back for advice on maintaining the car in the future. My parents didn't really teach me how to drive, or how to care for a car. I, unfortunately, had to figure a lot of things out on my own, and my first car was the victim of that. Now that I have a slightly better idea of what I am doing, I am in the market for a new car, and am looking for opinions. 

The car in question is this Kia Spectra hatchback. It seemed like a good deal, and seemingly met my requirements, which are as follows: 

• Must be reliable transportation
  • Decent gas mileage
  • Under 120k miles
  • Budget of $5,000
  • Space for transporting photography gear, and occasional sleeping for road trips
  • Looks good (anything looks good compared to my current car which is a 2002 Honda Accord with the paint peeling, and covered in dents)

I took the car for a test drive, and it felt nice. The steering felt a little stiff when I first started, but that issue went away almost immediately. The seats are comfortable, and the interior and electronics all seem to be in good condition. Aside from some scratches, everything seems in order. The dealer just got it inspected for a 8/19 inspection. 

I was sold on it until I came home and showed my brother who said it's a "girl's car." I think that concept is kind of ridiculous, but I'm open to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Given all this information, does this sound like a good buy? What would you recommend? Other thoughts? 

Thanks so much!

636710595192261359.jpg

Edited by Vernoss

Hello there...

Thanks for such an awesome question.

I will try to answer your inquires the best way I know how.

9 hours ago, Vernoss said:

The car in question is this Kia Spectra hatchback. It seemed like a good deal

It is a reasonable deal, assuming that there are no records of any accidents or malfunctions.

8 hours ago, Vernoss said:

Must be reliable transportation 

Kia's are more like middle class cars. KIA has recently (2016-2018) hit world promotion for reliability, but as for the older models that they produced...it's not so guaranteed.

Nevertheless, I'm certain it'll get you from plan A to plan B; whether it will last as long as a Toyota per-say...not likely.

Decent gas mileage

ASSURED!!!

Budget of $5,000

You're looking for a livable car with that amount.

I took the car for a test drive, and it felt nice. The steering felt a little stiff when I first started, but that issue went away almost immediately. The seats are comfortable, and the interior and electronics all seem to be in good condition.

This is all that matters...that the vehicle accommodates you, and is satisfactory.

I was sold on it until I came home and showed my brother who said it's a "girl's car." I think that concept is kind of ridiculous, but I'm open to hearing your thoughts on the matter.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder...I personally wouldn't look for something that small, but again if it fits your needs, that's what matters here!

Given all this information, does this sound like a good buy? What would you recommend? Other thoughts? 

Nate's Insight: It's a nice car. Though for the price? Well, I wouldn't rush. I have seen much better deals.

I'm a Toyota guy...them things are proven reliable. So I'm recommending Toyota. There not expensive like Honda, and parts are easy to find.

Hope this helped,

Regards

Nate (The Vehicle Reader)

{Location: ON, Canada}

Thanks for your insight! I got the car inspected where they discovered the front rotors are rusted, struts are leaking, tires are unaligned and cupped. 

The dealer said they could fix those things without charge if I buy it, but I told them I would think about it. 

That's awesome!

Good choice.

Do what you know is best...and go from there.

Good luck!! 😉

Nate