Sign in to follow this  
cooledwhip

Lexus IS300

2 posts in this topic

I'm a 17 year old high school senior who will be going to college downtown in Chicago next year. I currently drive a 2015 mazda 6 which is a great car but I don't want to bring it to Chicago because it will get dinged (It's bound to happen) and it's a pretty expensive car. I also want to work on my car, like change suspension, spoiler, bumpers, other ricer stuff, etc. I couldn't do that on the mazda 6. I'm looking at getting a Lexus IS300 just because they look pretty sexy, they seem reliable bc of the 2JZ, and I've seen lots of nice modded ones. Also I mean it's a pretty nice car right? It's an old one but it's still got the moonroof, other nice features. Anyway, can someone help me out with choosing this car? Are there any things to avoid? Look for? Thanks,

You are right. 

First of all, the lexus is300 was build by toyota, wich mean reliability. But as everything ages, the car will too. And the problem with such a car like the is300 is, if you have tough to buy it as a project/daily/fun car, well you are not alone. Avoid to buy a used one from some guy that have " chaged projects " and thing like that. Sometime buying an old project from someone else can be a lot of trouble. And why do you think people sell their project. Because it would be costy to repair.. But there are some rare gems aroun.. You just have to find yours! Buying from first owner could be great ( if they took care of the car ) and even some young folks can have a good is300. Look at what have been done on the car. If it stills have the original engine, what mods does it have and what care was don by the previous owners. 

Good luck in your shopping