Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyS101

2007 BMW 335i vs. 2007 Ford Mustang GT

3 posts in this topic

Looking to buy one or the other car in the topic title. I really love the luxury and quality build of the BMW but I also enjoy the speed of a Mustang GT. What one would you purchase and why? What are the pros/cons of both cars. And finally, what are the major problems from both of these models I may face and maintenance costs/work I would have to do. Both are similarly priced around 9k for one with 90,000 miles. Last, what about insurance costs? I know since I am 22 it will be high, but which one and why? Thanks for any answers and the help!

Edited by JohnnyS101

Well, you have to get what you like, not what some random internet person tells you to like... ;)

That being said, I recently sold a 2006 Mustang GT convertible, and bought a 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP convertible. Both are quick and fun, but the BMW gives that little extra something. Now, in your case, the E90 335i is not built quite as nicely as the earlier E46 330i (it's a bit more plasticky inside with harder surfaces), but it's plenty fast. I just didn't find it as fun to drive as the Mustang or the earlier BMW. You may feel different, however.

As for problem areas, the Mustang has few to deal with, most notably the problem with the spark plugs breaking off in the head and requiring a special tool to get the remnants out. This due to the OEM spark plugs being a bad design. At 90k miles, this may have already been taken care of by a previous owner. The BMW is a bit more high strung, with a problematic high pressure fuel pump being the main issue with them. Cooling systems are not as robust either, and at 90k coming up on the standard replacement mileage for a lot of those components.

I can't comment on insurance costs, as they vary wildly based on location, age and driving record, as well as which company you go through.