Ajw1545

Maintenance costs on a car off £1000

8 posts in this topic

Firstly I'm sorry if this is the wrong topic. I'm looking to buy a car for £1000, only to last a year or two. I was looking at this car http://www.hmcarsales.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen-polo-1-2-e-5dr-peterbrough-201507265519751I'm posting in this topic because I was wondering how much maintaince do you think a car of this age would cost? Due to it having done 96000 miles. Would you consider that to be too many miles. It says it has a full service record with it.

Firstly I'm sorry if this is the wrong topic. I'm looking to buy a car for £1000, only to last a year or two. I was looking at this car http://www.hmcarsales.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen-polo-1-2-e-5dr-peterbrough-201507265519751I'm posting in this topic because I was wondering how much maintaince do you think a car of this age would cost? Due to it having done 96000 miles. Would you consider that to be too many miles. It says it has a full service record with it.

Hi and welcome!

I will move this for you ;)

£1,000 for that Polo is about the going rate for a VW of that ilk. I'd go in and haggle it starting at around £800 which is reasonable. Other cars to consider, and often £1,000 will get you a newer model would be a Ford or Vauxhall (You'd get a 2006/7ish Focus for around that price). Is it that size car you're after, or isn't size a problem?

Hi, thanks for replying. This is around the right the size car I don't want a larger car as I don't need one, I would just be increasing my insurance and fuel bills. Do you think a car that has done 96000 miles would need any major mechanical work? It says it has an MOT so there should be nothing seriously wrong? Or would I be wrong assuming that?

Hi, thanks for replying. This is around the right the size car I don't want a larger car as I don't need one, I would just be increasing my insurance and fuel bills. Do you think a car that has done 96000 miles would need any major mechanical work? It says it has an MOT so there should be nothing seriously wrong? Or would I be wrong assuming that?

The MoT means the car was road worthy at the time of the test, assuming it was done properly of course. Hard to say as to whether it'll need much work doing to it as mileage isn't always a factor. Make sure that the timing belt has been changed at least once given the age and mileage though. Ask for any receipts of work carried out for peace of mind.

Edited by Cliffy

Sometimes the mileage does not indicate the need for high repair or maintenance costs for this car, but it can only take one or two years to feel that this car is not very cost-effective. Some new cars have relatively low prices. You can go to see ราคารถยนต์ 2021, I feel that some cheap new cars will be more cost-effective