dejavu655

Changing the starter on a 2006 ford taurus

3 posts in this topic

I have looked at youtube videos and it looks pretty straight forward. But, I don't have any of the tools like carjack and 15/13 mm socket wrench(s). I never worked myself on the car. So, if I buy, I am not sure what else I can use the equipment for.

So, I am wondering if I can just buy the starter for my car and go to the dealer who has good reviews and ask him to change the starter and give the old one so I can get the core charge taken away. Because, I don't know what starters they install and not sure if they are of good quality and they might charge me some surcharge on top of that.

Is that a good idea or should I buy those equipment and do it myself?

Edited by dejavu655

Buy the part and find a local shop. They will be more willing to use your part than the dealership and the labor will likely be cheaper. Use Yelp to find a reputable local shop if you don't have a recommendation.

Good luck!!

Some garages might only fit parts they supply, but on the whole they're usually decent parts. It's often best to buy your own parts if just to save money, as you can often get online discounts etc at certain places. Bear in mind though, if you do buy a part yourself and they fit it, should it go wrong, it's the perfect excuse for a garage to drag their heels in sorting the problem out for you, as although the part is guaranteed, it's not guaranteed by them.