1 post in this topic

On my way home after having dinner with a few friends I try going into the lane next to me and a car that was in my blindspot (I'm not even sure if their lights were on) honked their horn and I did not get that close and did not hear any kind of screeching sound and so I stay in my lane but then my friend sitting in the back tells me they were motioning me to stop. So im thinking maybe I did hit something. So I stop and roll down my window a bit so the man driving the other vehicle could talk. I apologized and I see no damage to his car until he points out a scratch at the top of his side mirror that apparently came from the bottom of my side mirror scratching the top of his. Because it was dark I did not get out of my car at all so I did not get a picture of the damage. It was maybe a two inch thin line on the top of his side mirror. He said that all it would really need is a buffing and he wouldn't need to file a claim unless anything else came up. So he takes down the name of my insurance and their phone number and I ask him if he wants to exchange numbers and he says it's not necessary. I was still in shock and it's my first accident where it was my fault so I didn't know exactly what to do. I'm 18 and he seemed to be in his 40's and it was dark outside so I didn't get out of my car to copy down his LISCENCE plate or take a picture of the scratch.

My question is that if I don't have his number how will I know how bad the scratch is and if he is going to file a claim or not or if I should file a claim. Also, my side view mirror is plastic so could it have really created a black scratch on his white car? Are damages from plastic easily fixable with a buffer?