2 posts in this topic

I have a 1993 Chevy Camaro z28 5.7 with about 135,000 miles. It made a whining/humming noise recently. It sounded soft at first, added oil the. Noise would go away. One time it got REALLY loud, spooked my girlfriend as well as me, then it stalled out and died. I checked the oil but that was fine so it bothere me even more. So I Let it sit for a few minutes then started with no problem. It happened again recently but i slowed down an it gt really loud again. Let it rest then tried going home. I was going about 75 miles per hour until it didn't want to give gas and started to stall. I pulled over and shut it off for a bit them drove it home while it did that stalling out about twice more. I can answer as many questions as I can, any advice would be appreciated! I should also mention that I put in a new alternator the day before I noticed anything.

Check your alternator first to ensure that you haven't put in one that is causing the problem. Just get the car started and remove the negative cable from the battery, if your engine cuts out it means that you're dealing with a faulty alternator.

If it isn't the alternator then you may need to pay more attention to when the noises and stalling is happening; whether it's when the car is under a heavier load, when you're speeding up or slowing down a little more drastically or when you're changing gear, as these factors will help to diagnose the issue. If the problem isn't the new alternator then I would be looking at your transmission personally, as that's the area where I've seen problems with sudden stalling the most.