Sign in to follow this  
Newguyhere

First Car

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, First time on the forums here.

Anyway, I have had my license for about a year now and I've been practicing with my mom's car for the last 1.5 years. (2012 BMW 5 series).

I am a capable driver, not really reckless, but I am still new. Anyway it has came up with my parents that it's time for my first car. Since I am going to be driving a lot (school is 10 miles away) and have an active lifestyle, I need a reliable car that will be easy to take out all the time. My parents proposed that a new modern car is best because they just feel that used cars aren't good. I tried to convince them otherwise because it's cheaper, but they said safety/brand new is the way to go. I know a few of you guys are gonna flame me for being "spoiled" or "a bad driver" and get jealous, but try to be helpful. Otherwise, they set a price of about $20-30k.

What I am looking for a stylish, small car with some decent numbers. Sedan or hatchback is preferred. I've been looking at a few cars like the VW GTI, Jetta, Audi A4 (a bit expensive) Kia Optima, Mazda 6, Ford fusion, Mazda CX-5 (suv exception), Acura ILX.

Once again, I am not a car genius so please bare with me. By the way, I live in LA if that matters, (mostly travel on highways)

My parents wanted to buy me a $20,000 Volvo when I first started driving, so believe me when I say I know the position you are in right now. The only advice I can offer is this, get a used car no matter what you do. The first years of driving, you want to be driving something slow/reliable/doesn't matter if you get banged up. You never learn to appreciate car control, enjoying a car as a transportation device, etc. if you get a new car and are worried to take it out when it rains even.

As long as the car is safe and not terribly old, it makes no sense to buy new. You will be getting the same car with the same safety standards as they had 3-4 years ago, but at a lower cost and at a lower level of guilt if you crash, etc. Not that you will, but it's just better for a first car.

FWIW, I ended up getting a $2000 Infiniti that I loved to death and miss dearly instead of that 20k Volvo. No regrets.

Oh, did I mention don't get a new car whatever you do?

I think you should to try to have firstly a used car, you should know and must be comfortable before starting an with used car you could easily get a comfort of running a used car or a new car. So, I think you should go for used one.

Edited by Chris V.
no advertising

I agree with the others that I would get a used car due to the issue of until you get comfortable driving. The question becomes do you want to gain experience in a brand new car that you are afraid will get dinged or get the experience in a car that if something happens to it, it would not be as bad. If your folks are worried about used cars not being reliable, there is the Certified Pre-owned option where the cars are used, but there are restrictions on mileage and age of cars. Usually the cars in the Certified Pre Owned are less than 5 years old and have less than 60,000 miles on it. (check out the CPO guidelines for the car companies you are interested in.) When the dealerships get these cars, they will spend their money to fix minor things to make it look virtually new - such as new tires, fixing upholstery, etc. Plus the fact, someone else has taken the depreciation hit on the car and some type of warranty either comes with it or is available.

If your parents are dead-set on buying you a new car, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonota would be good in addition to the cars you talked about. Can't go wrong with either one of those.....I would avoid the Audi A4. I say that because my brother has one and his son drove it once around Chicago and he had an issue or two because it had a lot of power (no offense to you)

I would also avoid any type of SUV vehicle. I say that because if have one of those, somehow, you may get volunteered to help someone move, or some other crazy stunt and they would call you because you have the large car. If you have a sedan, you should be safe from that stuff and still have reliable transportation.

Hi,

I also face the same problem because my father told me that next year in 2015 at 15th march on my birthday they give me a car and I also not understand that which car is better for me New car or Used car.

Hey guys, First time on the forums here.

Anyway...I have same ideas for you guys.see this.Infocabs is your solution to cab management system with customizes software for everything. Whether it is booking or displacement it gives a helping hand in upgrading speed, ease of use and flexibility to level where the overall taxi industry gets better off

Edited by Chris V.
no advertising

I am a car lover and owner.I think there are many people like me take car as our best friend.So I also make friends with many car ower.We together will talks a lot about car.How to use it safety,more environmental and more smoothly.Recently we have found one car accessories-Multi Spark ignition from one of our Chinese friend.We used it well.And we also will ask more car accessories from him.

Below is his contact.May also help you better use the accessories for your car.