terenkleon

Should I buy a new engine or get a new car?

9 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala that has about 130,000 miles on it. I just found out that I blew a head gasket. Some say that it's the intake gasket some say the head gasket. The car keeps running hot. First it started off with bad gas then it went to something else and then that's when my heat went out in the car. It doesn't hold water or anti-freeze. When you turn the car off the only thing you smell is anti-freeze. I went to a shop the man found a used engine that has about 55,000-60,000 miles on for about $750. I'm still paying on the car. I went to some people that totally ripped me off because I didn't have any credit. So they over-charge me. I still owe at least $8,000 on the car. If I was to pay it off it will be $6,000. If I was to let it go back.. that would be a repossession on my credit and I'm only 20. I'm lost. I could use some advice on this!

Suck it up and buy the engine. At least get the use out of the car that you're paying for. Hard lessons here, but it's the cheapest way out of this problem.

gm 3.1 and 3.4 is very bad about that if u buy the whole plenum and gasket it will lower it a lil but the only way to get them to run cooler is get an aftermarket thermostat if you want a new motor think about converting to the 3.8 they are a little bit better but they do have some problems with the intake gasket

I think a second opinion would be a better course of action. If it is just an intake gasket, the cost should be minimal. Buying a $750 engine then paying to have it fitted is a lot to bear for a young bloke already paying off the car loan.

If you must use the car to get to another mechanic, change your engine oil, oil filter and don't use coolant. If you can, find a confident bloke in his thirties to front the mechanic for a diagnosis and fix cost..

if you want to fix it cheap, search craigslist for a shade tree mechanic that will fix it cheap. A head gasket is not the hardest thing in the world to do, but is very labor intensive.

If that is not an option, wait, and buy a new car.

sorry

BTW- your car only has one head gasket.

Edited by Chris V.

It really depends on how badly the car engine or any part of the car is damaged. For me, I'd probably do some research on this and see how everything works out...