Sign in to follow this  
Dylan_Michael

Best VW to mod?

21 posts in this topic

Alot of people will tell you the 1.8T because of the chip and turbo....

I think it's all BS. The 1.8T is good if you're gonna have it as a daily driver. With a 500$ chip, you get 50 more hp and torque. But say, you want 280hp, it will be cheaper with the VR6. All you need is a supercharger, a chip, and the basics. If you're want huge power, there's turbo and I think there a twin turbo's for the VR6. Upgrade the engine from 2.8L to 3.1L displacement, new cams, rods..... and you'll be getting mid to high 4's, and high 12's on the 1/4 mile without slicks. Then you can always add a quaife differential, 6 speed transmission...

I don't think the 1.8T can handle 400hp reliably.

I also agree, the Corrado is the best VW to mod. The Golf/Jetta also have the VR6, but the Corrado has a much tighter body, handles better... it's a sports car, not a family car with a bigger engine.

True...the 1.8T has too little volume to really pump it up...and when you pass the 300Hp the engine will overheat, so IMO the VR6 is the best engine to mod...

I would pick the Corrado as well, too bad they are not built anymore....

Aris, do you have pix of your car ?

I'd say the 1.8T is the best... it easily produces about 220bhp and it reliably produces 290bhp, and that's quite enough for a street car. And you can bump it up to 2.0 litres or a bit more and have 320bhp out of it.

The VR6 is a very good engine to tune if you want a) a sharp nat.asp. engine with good power, :) if you want obscene amounts of power from your VW.

BTW, a 286bhp Golf 1.8T with just FWD can keep up with the new M5 up to about 110mph. Nuff said.

Another note. Old bugs with Bug engines will lift the front end quite easily, too. In fact, the fastest Import in the US is powered by a turbo 4cyl bug engine (air cooled opposed 4).

The old Vw Bug has more tune up potential than any other VW model, and nearly any other car model... It's relatively easy to make them handle better than Corrados, and it's cheaper to make them much quicker than the VR6 cars.