Sign in to follow this  
leanne8829

VW Golf 1.4 E 2001 oil pressure problems

3 posts in this topic

Looking for some help!

Two weeks ago I started having bother with my oil. I was driving home from Birmingham to Glasgow and I got as far as Stafford before the oil light came on saying my oil level was low. I had only filled it the weekend before when I had been travelling to Liverpool and the oil light came on when I got to Lockerbie so was slightly concerned about how it had used so much oil since then as I had put in about a litre. Anyway got back to Glasgow fine and oil level light has never came on again however the oil pressure light came on instead.

My car went to the garage (originally because it was cutting out while i was driving, this just turned out to be dirt from the bottom of the petrol tank as it wasn't full with petrol) and when they had it out for a drive the oil pressure light came on again. The garage have told me that my car is burning oil which is why it continually needs filled, the garage had to fill it there also, but I don't understand how this links to low oil pressure? The mechanic said it could be my oil pump but the light is very intermittent. There is no pattern for it coming on or going off, it just picks and chooses. The oil level is fine and the temperature of the car seems fine, there are no noises coming from the engine and no smoke.

I am wondering whether to take it to another garage and ask them to check the oil pressure switch and the wiring as the garage i used didn't mention any of these, they seem to have just written it off as burning oil and not really explained the low oil pressure situation.

Has anyone else had this problem with low oil pressure and what did you do?

Thanks!

I have this car too, its 58,000 mile on the clock and the warning light came on.

So far I have replaced oil sensor, oil filter, oil dehumidifier and oil and its still not fixed.

This problem is mentioned here

http://www.volkswagondeals.co.uk/passat/i-...-is-the-switch/

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t7246277-car_volkswagen_polo

I am trying the final solution mentioned which is moving the sump and replacing the gauze on the oil pump. Will find out later today if this helps. Mine is also showing white oil scum on the oil cap too. Its never had this in the time I owned the car and is a sign of head gasket failure usually.

Looking for some help!

Two weeks ago I started having bother with my oil. I was driving home from Birmingham to Glasgow and I got as far as Stafford before the oil light came on saying my oil level was low. I had only filled it the weekend before when I had been travelling to Liverpool and the oil light came on when I got to Lockerbie so was slightly concerned about how it had used so much oil since then as I had put in about a litre. Anyway got back to Glasgow fine and oil level light has never came on again however the oil pressure light came on instead.

My car went to the garage (originally because it was cutting out while i was driving, this just turned out to be dirt from the bottom of the petrol tank as it wasn't full with petrol) and when they had it out for a drive the oil pressure light came on again. The garage have told me that my car is burning oil which is why it continually needs filled, the garage had to fill it there also, but I don't understand how this links to low oil pressure? The mechanic said it could be my oil pump but the light is very intermittent. There is no pattern for it coming on or going off, it just picks and chooses. The oil level is fine and the temperature of the car seems fine, there are no noises coming from the engine and no smoke.

I am wondering whether to take it to another garage and ask them to check the oil pressure switch and the wiring as the garage i used didn't mention any of these, they seem to have just written it off as burning oil and not really explained the low oil pressure situation.

Has anyone else had this problem with low oil pressure and what did you do?

Thanks!

Standard next step is put the engine on an oil pressure gauge and if pressure is too low replace pump. My local garage in Ireland gave me this advice.

I am currently in Bratislava, Slovakia and have found out the garage doesn't own an oil pressure gauge but think they can still solve the problem! I suppose they think I will keep on paying them, dream on!

I have this car too, its 58,000 mile on the clock and the warning light came on.

So far I have replaced oil sensor, oil filter, oil dehumidifier and oil and its still not fixed.

This problem is mentioned here

http://www.volkswagondeals.co.uk/passat/i-...-is-the-switch/

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t7246277-car_volkswagen_polo

I am trying the final solution mentioned which is moving the sump and replacing the gauze on the oil pump. Will find out later today if this helps. Mine is also showing white oil scum on the oil cap too. Its never had this in the time I owned the car and is a sign of head gasket failure usually.

Oil pressure loss can be because of things like low oil, low viscousity, dirty pickup screen, worn pump, slack chain on pump, worn bearings, wrong oil filter, wrong oil, etc. The warning light can either be telling the truth or the light is is getting a false signal (sensor, wiring, etc).

Burning oil could be things like worn rings, worn valve guides, PCV system not working. Losing oil includes same, plus leaking gaskets, seals, lose oil cap or filler plug, etc.

You may benefit from running a thicker oil, until a qualified mechanic can have a proper look.