Sign in to follow this  
AsP1988

Rack and Pinion

12 posts in this topic

Took my car to Pep Boys to get an alignment. The guy calls and says, the Rack and Pinion needs to be replaced the rear brakes and rotors and the a-arms end on both sides. So I looked into it so far I am looking at 400-600 for a new one. My question to you and my search for advice is this, How hard is this gonna be to replace, how long will it take and buy a new one or go to the pick-a-part and rip one off? How do I tell if its bad? Can I physically look at the rack and pinion and see that its bad or is it more about how the car feels? Suggestions? Idea's? anything ... all help is appreciated.

One small thing, please don't tell me to just burn the car/destroy it/ or how much of a piece of shit it is. I really just want to get the help I asked for.

Again thank you in advance! :o

Why did they say to replace the A arms? Unless you got rear ended or doing hardcore off roading I think they are trying to get more money out of you. Do you have a steering problem? If not, I wouldn't worry about it, just watch the fluid level.

Why did they say to replace the A arms? Unless you got rear ended or doing hardcore off roading I think they are trying to get more money out of you. Do you have a steering problem? If not, I wouldn't worry about it, just watch the fluid level.

The lower control arm end? Both sides and from what I can see the bushings are pretty shot but nothing scary like my motor mounts were. Honestly there isn't really a damn thing wrong with the steering, other than a little play. The tires seem to be more of the issue than anything else. When I first start the car It squeals when I turn to the left, but only the left. Guy also said that the struts need to be done. Is it common that after so many miles the struts get done or again trying to get me to buy more shit? Lastly, sorry for so many questions, How hard would it be to just change the Rack and Pinion and not have to deal with it ... anytime soon.

Yeah, do the ball joints first. Things get REALLY bad really fast when one of those fails. As far as the other things go, If a part needs replaced in your oppinion then do it, keep in mind the tech wants to get as much money out of you as possible.

Just a heads up, I'm not afraid to buy a book and take my time and do all this myself. What I'm more or less interested in is how hard will it be and how soon do I need to do this? I also was under the impression when you changed the Control Arm it came with the ball joints and bushings needed? Was looking at it online and thats what i thought :o Maybe I wasn't looking properly. But so far, Rack and pinion, Ball Joint and bushings, control arm end and rear rotor and pad. Thats the list. From the look of it ... I can do it all with a little time and help from a friend who is a little more car savvy than myself.

Just a heads up, I'm not afraid to buy a book and take my time and do all this myself. What I'm more or less interested in is how hard will it be and how soon do I need to do this? I also was under the impression when you changed the Control Arm it came with the ball joints and bushings needed? Was looking at it online and thats what i thought :o Maybe I wasn't looking properly. But so far, Rack and pinion, Ball Joint and bushings, control arm end and rear rotor and pad. Thats the list. From the look of it ... I can do it all with a little time and help from a friend who is a little more car savvy than myself.

Well you're off to a good start trying to do it yourself, you will save a bunch of money, and learn valuable stuff if the process. If you are doing suspension stuff air tools are your best friend (3/8" impact, 3/8" air wratchet and a quality set of sockets). The A arms might not come with the ball joint in it (I don't know) but it could either be a bolt in joint (easy to do) or a press fit (take it to a shop). You don't have to be ASE certified or an auto genious to do this stuff, it's actually pretty easy. What you first need to learn is looking at a problem and figuring out A-B-C then C-B-A, then the job will seem like nothing. Good luck.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/669...eek+Google+Base

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-INFINI...=item5ad8ac0f1d

That's what the control arm looks like. From what I see, it will replace all the bushings. As far as the Rack & Pinion, I figure I got time to save for that. I got all new yokohama's and plan to have them installed as soon as everything is fixed hopefully by the end of next month. New alignment, oil change and transmission flush. As far as the Struts go, I don't think I need to worry about that yet, it rides fine in my opinion for now. Should I buy the Book for the car just in case or is this something that is pretty self explanatory as I go?

The A arm looks pretty easy, you will need an impact though. I've never done a rack so I can't comment on that. Deffinately get a Haynes/Chilton book they really help.

Both are easy things to do.

With the R&P just make sure you wear safety glasses incase a bit of fluid decides to drop in your eye. Once fitted and the reservoir topped up, turn engine on and swing the steeering left to right a few times to burp the system.

I suggest you do get a workshop manual (maybe the scribd site has one online). If for nothing else it gives you a companion to talk to. Front is always a valuable activity..... visit a mechanic's shop and just ask him/her how you should go about it, they usually can't help but reward your temerity by showing off how much they know.

Sweet. Next step is the repairs. Ordered the Control Arms and we shall see how it goes. not so excited about the R&P. Heads up on my progress probably this weekend.