mnunes810

'99 Ranger vs. '95 Camry

47 posts in this topic

The RX8 doesn't...

(clears throat)

The RX-8 doesn't have torque because it is an upgraded version of the 13B, which makes too little displacement to be making that much power alongside that much torque naturally aspirated. That is why Mazda is developing the 16X. Look at any other Wankel other than the Renesis. 20B: 300hp 300 trq, my 13B-DEI 146hp 138trq, 13B-REW: 255hp 217trq. And then theres the 787b ;)

How many times do I have to prove this point. Wankels have torque.

Well, all engines have torque. it's just how much torque do they have for the weight they are moving, and where in the rpm band is it? Given the same final drive gearing, 400 ft lbs is way more fun than 150 ft lbs... ;)

My RX3 idled at 2000 rpm, and made no usable power/torque below about 3000 rpm (which is where you had to dump the clutch to launch the car from a stoplight without stalling it. Aluminum flywheels are cool, but not on the street, it turns out).

No you're totally right, the FC was tons better than the Mustang or Camaro of the time. But the thing is that the car was built around the engine, so it is tricky for purists (such as myself) to justify putting anything else in.

A car doesn't care what the name is on the engine. A machine has no soul, except for the soul a loving owner puts into it. Engine swaps are a time honored tradition, and it's how we got the Cad-Allard, the Sunbeam Tiger, and the original Cobra. Purists need to remember if engineers of mass produced, committee-driven cars got it perfect the first time, they'd never be able to improve it for the next edition. ;) Also, purists of cars like this need to realize they are just cheap mass produced machines, not rare, impossible to duplicate bits of artwork. As long as there are tens of thousands of dirt cheap originals running around, then a few customs are fine. And the FCs were always the bastard stepchildren of the RX7 world, considered overweight secretaries car that lacked the focus of either the original RX7 OR the follow up TT FDs. You can STILl get them for $500 out there because they just aren't desirable, even in the rotary world (unlike the RX3). I personally love the way they look, however.

I also got a lot of flack originally for changing the nature of the car by putting the V8 in it. Well, duh, that was the whole point. :lol: I would tell people like that that no one complained about drag race versions of RX7s that were completely not the sports cars that were originally intended, so long as it still had the rotary in it...

I still love my car.

To be fair the engine in your one is considerably better than the one in the RX8. The one I drove was the most powerful one and it was a hateful thing.

To be fair the engine in your one is considerably better than the one in the RX8. The one I drove was the most powerful one and it was a hateful thing.

It's essentially the same engine.

It's essentially the same engine.

It must have been modified in some way though? I mean this thing had no power at all in the mid range, and you almost had to put it in second to overtake,

It must have been modified in some way though? I mean this thing had no power at all in the mid range, and you almost had to put it in second to overtake,

It's MSPI now, more modern emissions and ecu.

Yeeeah modern emissions guidelines have definitely blunted gasoline engine performance.

Thank God for modern diesels. :lol:

Thank God for modern diesels. :lol:

It's a shame, I would love to have a go in an older Rotary engine.

Oh well, Diesel (and LS3) FTW :lol:

What is the real difference between the Camry and the Accord? I mean the look like the some car.

I really do not care about the out side or the in side just how they drive and how long they are going to last.

Thanks

And thank you for the HUGE nudge! :lol:

Toyota and Hoda makes very reliable cars. For a long time I said I wouln't but a Japanese car, but they really aren't that bad. When you look at it, America has the cars that look good, Japan has the cars that will run forever.

Yeah, them Japs (and Koreans) are obssesed about engineering and quality and thats why their cars could virtually run forever.

I like how cars have become "global" now. Models for the US and Europe are almost the same models sold here, too (or are the exact models) save from some minor tweaks in engine software.