Sign in to follow this  
PontiacGP

Move over lightning, here comes dodge...

16 posts in this topic

Well, at least Dodge didn't name it something like the Burmese GT or something. 500 Hp is a lot for a modern truck! That's gonna give all those luxury trucks a run for their money. I think that two of the currently most powerful trucks are the Hummer and Escalade. I don't know what figures the Hummer has, but I think the Escalade is like 350 HP for the current 2002 model. I don't follow on trucks too much, but I know that 500 HP is gonna make things rough for the competition.

thats not gonna be anything like the actual truck im sure. and if it is it will be like 80K priced like the viper, if not more. when that truck comes out it will probably have under 400 hp, signifigantly under 400 hp, if it expected to be priced anywhere near the SVT Lightning. also 24 inch wheels?? thats cool and all but not on a truck like that, those obviously wont ever see the inside of a dealership either.

on the otherhand the ford f350 tonka truck is kick *** :D

its also funny they needed 8.3 L to make 500 hp when ford did it with a 5.4 in the GT40. whats that hp/l ratio, like 60hp/1L not too impressive. a stock zx3 makes 65hp/L but hey, go dodge!

Turbo, with few exceptions, you have to remember the Dodge V-10, is basically a Mopar 360ci V8 with two cylinders drafted onto the back of it. Other than that, it's basically stock, there really aren't any hopped up parts in that thing. And it still makes 500 ft/lbs. or torque! Actually quite impressive when you consider its a smog legal fuel injected torque monster. In any case. Horsepower per liter argument only carries so much weight. As any liter engine can produce any amount of power, all it takes is money. And Horspower per liter doesn't neccesarily indicate efficiency either.

It's only a 'quicky' reference - if you will. The better proportion is Power to weight.

To my knowledge, I also believe that the Dodge SRT-10. or Ram Rod, as it might be named is also a normally suspended Dodge Ram. So, if you were to take the time to work on the suspension and tires, you could actually get it to go much faster with much less power. Remember too that a Dodge Ram is a seriously obese pig to the F-150 Lightning.

I guess you meant the F-150 when you said GT-40 because it's not really an accurate comparison for a Hybrid racing car under 3,000 pounds with a tricked out 5.4L V8, to compare to a towing truck with a big V-10? But I do see your point. It could go faster with less power but that would require a lot of work, and at this point I think it's a design excercise more than anything else.

One thing I will say about Dodge is that they are giving the Dodge Sport a set of 20's currently. Which do not come (even optioned) on the Lightning.

no, i meant the gt40 thats on that car show page. i think page 6 or 7 maybe. not sure. i never really saw a point to having more than 8 cylinders in the first place. im not trying to bash on it or anything, but i still think that dodge isnt ever going to see the daylight of a local street if it comes out with 500 hp. its cool and all, but when it does see production it will be a lot less. i never really liked the idea of a really fast truck anyway, the svt lightning is only RWD, and only comes in an automatic, we were going to try to buy one but trying to pull a boat out of the water once those tires get wet, only rwd, and an automatic would be a nightmare.

Well, if they actually did put in the Aluminum V-10 from the Viper, it would realistcally have 500 HP/500 torque/505 cubic inches. But, if they use the regular iron block, it may only produce the older 450 HP level.

I get what you're saying though.

Originally posted by Turbo_ZX3

its also funny they needed 8.3 L to make 500 hp when ford did it with a 5.4 in the GT40. whats that hp/l ratio, like 60hp/1L not too impressive. a stock zx3 makes 65hp/L but hey, go dodge!

And a Dodge spirit R/T make 102 HP/liter 12 years ago. When ford was porducing mustangs with V8 which made overall less power then a 4 cylinder less tnah half it's size. GO FORD!

Anyway, if they do produce this new ram with the Viper engine. It is about time someone tries to step up. It wont necessairily be that expensive. They don't have to engineer a new engine for the truck.

Also, 24" wheels may be possible, but not likely. Dodge already does offer 20"s stock on the current ram 1500's like blig stated before.

ive never seen anything from any car manufacturer offering bigger than an 18" wheel. 20s on a dodge ram, the cheaper of the series i might add is retarded, its a pick up truck. the ram is a commercial truck, everybody and their mom that owns a business has a dodge ram as their company truck. and also, the dodge spirit is a big winner eh?? haha right

Damn right the spirit R/T is a winner. The only sedan that ford has produced (in the USA)that will even come close to it's performance is the contour SVT, which might outhandle it, but has not a chance in hell straight line, and ford doesn't make another sedan that will touch it.

I forgot about the awsome ford tempo/mercury topaz. Now, they are hella sweet cars...........

I do respect rustangs though, And pre 96 pick ups.

ford didnt make the spirit, it was dodge, and the svt focus is going to beat the contour in every category, now its not a sedan, but its close enough, close to the same weight and mechanics and what not. im down with the topaz, back when my oldest brother was in high school is friend had the v6 designer edition, he ran a 120 shot of nos in it. he called it the mach 1. :)

haha, yeah it was. the mach 1 part was really the whole point of the story. it was pullin low 15s though. with just the NOS. he had a little mach 1 sticker over his NOS button.