Sign in to follow this  
Bliggida

'00 RSX-S & '87 Mustang GT

83 posts in this topic

blig a v6 camaro runs a 15 flat at best, an rsx s runs a 14.8 easily. dont rely on torque too much. its good to have but its not going to win drag races all the time. dont neglect the six speed. with 6 gears u can have a closer gear ratios which allows u to access that power a lot more quickly and its more accessible when downshifting also. and 25% isnt a huge gap in torque to weight ratio considering torque isnt a huge factor. it helps u more when trying to accelerate out of turns because it has a stronger pull. there is more than just hp numbers when looking at who would win races. sure the camaro has torque, but it doesnt have the tranny, it has tall gears. the rsx s also has more high tech engine parts to put that power to the wheels. the rsx type s makes somewhere in the neigborhood of 180 hp at the wheels. the camaro i believe is more around 170. and traction isnt too big of a concern either when your only dealing with 200 hp. its easy to prevent wheel spin with smaller powered engines. the v6 camaros arent really made to launch hard. chevy really didnt put all too much time in their v6 camaro, as did ford with the mustang. sure its got some pep but its not built to be a race car. they just made a cheaper version of their nice drag racer so housewives and kids can buy them too. your right though, the race wouldnt be dead even. the camaro would be tailing behind like a u haul

by the way blig. car and driver had their 1999 v6 camaro they tested at a 16.1. and a 7.7 second 0-60. a mid 15 e.t. for that car would be a stretch for me to believe. also. i forgot to go into the svt focus. the svt will pull an estimated time of 15.1 on the 1/4. and it only has 170 hp and a 145 ft/lbs of torque. that would make it a full second quicker than the camaro which has the 30 hp/80 ft/lb advantage. do u know why? the svt focus has a variable cam timing system, a dual stage intake, a dual mass flywheel, and a 6 spd close gear ratio getrag transmission. those parts wont make hp numbers but will make the car a hell of a lot faster because of what it does with the hp it has. the svt focus hits 85% of its torque at 2200 rpm. and with a raised rev limiter over the zx3 it allows you to stay in that power longer. anyway, acura wouldnt have priced the rsx s at 25K+ if it cant beat a cheapy 16 grand v6 camaro.

Turbo. I had a long detailed post for you and my computer ate it up. I was angry and dissapointed by your ingorance about Torque not meaning anything, but I hate this computer so much I am just going to let it slide.

Contact me on IM sometime and lets chat on the subject. Wanna hear your points in more detail.

What was that run mentioned in? Car and Driver? I heard something about the Cobra R and ZO6, something about Car & Driver using a totalled 2001 Zo6? I dunno, maybe it's correct, maybe it's not, but all I can say is, seeing it on VIDEO with 1/4 time and speed would be rather convincing. And more than just one race to see how either car fares.

hehe, stupid computers. dont misunerstand me here though blig. i never said torque doesnt matter. i just said that torque alone wont win races. and thats all the camaro has over the rsx s. mik hit what i wanted to say righ ton the head. torque really only matters a lot when uner 4000 rpms and in a drag race that is only from the launch.

Eventually, I'll have a video with proof that my V6 Camaro is stock, and that with myself driving on factory tires can pull a 15 flat. You can use a track video but how do you know it's not stock?

The only true way would be to have a unedited video that goes through the whole car, includes VIN, watch myself get in and race all in one deal. Of course that's overkill, but at least that is legitimate proof.

I figure a G-Tech Pro run should be sufficient enough?

You have a good point there, Blig. Like I told you about that Eclipse that wants to race me all the time, with that humongous 20 PSI turbo? I only saw him like twice, but DAMN! The way he drives that car and how stupid he is for challenging a race no matter what the road traffic is like. He'll end up crashing that thing. You DON'T race at high speeds or accelerate like mad when a lot of traffic is present. That's just an accident waiting to happen. *Sigh* Typical ricers.:) Half the time, it seems like some of these peoplw don't even take into consideration of what could happen. Even some guy that has an Eclipse said that guy's gotta have a huge turbo is he's pulling away from a TransAm. Those 20 PSI turbos could give one of those Eclipses like 425 HP?

Another point I just thought of. It would be rather hard to edit a home video. Editing a 35MM REEL is easier than a VCR Cassette. If you try to, you'll see a lot of scrambled images flicker a bit. And yeah, ya gotta make sure the cars are stock. No sense in bashing a car by saying it's not worth crap by racing a stock car to a modded one for a "stock" race.

With the exception of my having a Flowmaster muffler (not a cat-back system). Muffler alone I fail to believe makes any difference what-so-ever. Especially on that car.

But yeah I would video tape the engine bay, and under neath and what not. It'd be real quick, because someone can always re-run or pause a shot for a longer view, but it wouldn't be a 'swiped look' either. A good clean, focused shot of all major components.

well. i still know an rsx s will waste a v6 camaro so im really not too interested in seeing it. u can still post the movie if u want though, itd be cool to see your car. anway, the rsx costs as much as an SS so you shouldnt get hurt about it

Well, it's just that I've heard stuff about some of these magazine tests. I forgot the name, but someone compared a brand new Cobra "R" to a rebuilt 2001 ZO6 Vette? That right there doesn't sound right. The Cobra "R" would have less HP then the new ZO6. The ZO6 runs right along with the base model Viper.

I'm not hurt about it. I've got a 99 TransAm. I'm just saying anyone that does any type of article on a car should heavily look into all the details. Why do you think I'm not steaming mad about that modded up Eclipse that took me out? I mean, YEAH, you put like a 15 or 20 PSI turbo in a car and yeah, it's gonna have some guns. Give ME a turbo like that, and I can grab some wings and fly! :)