Sign in to follow this  
tomjakimiak

What's all the griping of V8 "gas guzzlers" when V6's are just as bad?

142 posts in this topic

Like I mentioned PGP, one of the reasons was the OVERALL damage to the roads. The MAIN reason was of assholes romping on the gas to make the tires peel and make sparks fly. That REALLY tore the roads up and if you were to get pulled over by a cop, they MIGHT give you a hassle over your studded tires.....well maybe NOT since you don't live in this state. I never had the chance to DRIVE on em, but I DO remember how cars handled. Even on ICE, that wasn't a big deal, like driving on an inch high water puddle. Now you see cars slip and slide like they're on oil. If you ever visit Illinois near Chicago, try driving down Route 41 on a bad winter day. You'll see at LEAST 10 cars in the first hour either in a collision or "ditched". Almost makes me laugh as I think of the scene from "Gone In 60 Seconds" where that black guy was trying to teach that dizzy girl how to drive. "You can't maintain speed, you can't turn properly, and you can't paralell park." And she started crying and he gave her a license and she backs out and rams into another car! LOL!

The Turbocharged Z28 was mentioned by...me :), you can see video's of it run on www.LS1Motorsports.com AWESOME, car just sounds nasty! Not to mention it runs high nines, low tens.

Pontiac, what year is your Gran Prix that it has a Turbo 400? The new ones are front wheel drive and that TH-400 would never fit unless your car was about 8 feet wide.

I saw in a Hot Rod magazine several cars that ran 12s in the 1/4 and got 20 mpg. Some had engines like a crate 383 and one was even a Honda Civic hatch. They were pretty nice cars, especially the Civic because it was white and the ONLY mod was black rims that made it look like it lost its hubcaps.:)

Bliggida:

My grandprix is a 76. It is a rear wheel drive car and it is pretty dammm big ( by today's standards). It is powered by a 350 Pontiac (not to be confused with chevy) V8 and runs a turbo 400 tranmission with a 10 bolt rear end. She used to be my daily driver, but now I am in the process of restoration, one little bit at a time as $$$ allows.

Here is a pic of my car if you are interested:

http://www.users.fast.net/~blazer/76gp0003.htm

It is on a list with other GP's. This car is the reason I love big old american cars. I feel this car had style, but that is my opinion.

I agree, that's a big car. My Camaro is roughly 18 feet long, and weighs 4000 pounds. I imagine your Grand Prix would weigh slightly more, but I'll bet it also floats like a dream. At least technology is enough now that you can make that car handle the turns like a Z06 if you wanted to, and still not jar you to death like a race car.

I though the Pontiac 350 was of the same design as the 350 Chev. I know that the Ponitac and Oldsmobile engine's shared a commonality but weren't they still the same '67-'86 block design?

As a reference though, I have a Turbo 350 (gearing is almost identical to the TH400) I have 3.42's in the rear and it runs 65 MPH @ 3,000 RPM. It begins to sing on the highway so unless you have a lock-up version of the TH400, it may annoy you a little.

Unless the car isn't going to be driven much, like a weekend ride - then who cares, go for performance gearing. But 2.73's yikes, at least think about 3.08's or something in the "3's".

The Hot Rod edition you were talking about was the 2001 March issue. Which was entitled "How to get 12 seconds, and 20 MPG" that covered a large list of old, heavy muscle cars that were able to get 20 MPG, and still run in the 12's. It also included a 2.3L Turbo Mustang, and a Honda Civic that looked stock - and at that fairly sad. Paint was faded, blech. Never think that thing would blow your doors off!

20 MPG in a V8 is actually pretty easy, going 12's and still getting 20 MPG is somewhat more difficult a challenge, but if people would stop and do their homework - V8's don't have to suck gas to make power - only radical V8's need a lot of gas. Like something over 600 horses, you don't see too many of those around anyway.

Yup, I guess he's into bigger girls. :)

I figure, if I swap out my fenders, doors, deck lid, and hood all for fiberglass pieces I could shed close to 200 pounds. Figure another 50 pounds if I did lose the rear seat. But then again a fairly large amount of stereo equipment, nitrous, batteries are going to add weight right back.

I'm curious what my car will weigh after most of the cast iron and steel parts are switched? Like the axle, driveshaft, suspension, BRAKES, rims, and move to all aluminum engine parts.

I'd like to get it down to 3500 pounds but that may be a stretch when everything is all said and done.

If I could get 3500 pounds, I'd have a 0.193 power to weight ratio! Compared to it's .044 now....once the engine's built that is.

*sigh*

Bliggida:

The Pontiac engines were not the same as chevy. Before the late 70's, GM divisions used their own engines. Pontiac,Chevy,Buick, and Oldsmobile V8's were all different, though only the chevy had a different bellhousing to block bolt pattern. Parts betwen the engines didn't interchange except for distributors, and accessories, though the accessories are mounted in a different place. They stopped making the Pontiac V8 (the last was the 301)in 1980 or thereabouts due to emissions reasons. Parts can exchange between all but the 301 V8 with Pontiac. For example, the intake for my 350 can be swapped to 389 or 400 without fitment problems. Also, Pontiac engines were not seperated big block/small block like chevy. You can't visually distinguish a 350 from a 455.

Guest Saabman44

blig, that is one big *** camero, what year? its roughly the same size as my car, 18 1/2 feet, 4180 pounds.

I think so too. Can't wait till I'm finished.

I'm still sorting out the bugs now, but I am going to take it to the track for an updated baseline to see how things are helping or hurting.

That's going to be the 26th (birthday) so, I'll post pictures afterwards.

:rolleyes: Another funny moment.....Since it's warm today, I was cruising around with my tops down and some guy looked at my TransAm and started talkin all sorts of bunk of how that thing sucks gas. Most people give cool compliments on my car but some of those people that are the boring conservatives...or at least they THINK they are, talk bunk about my ride. This guy's in a NEW BEETLE, an 18 MPG city four banger! LOL! I just laughed in his face when I told him my car gets the same MPG as his. Do you think the reason why some of these people whine and bitch is because they have suddenly realized their cars aren't as efficient as they thought before purchasing them? ??:)??

I just forgot. There was some guy that had an 83 944 Porshe and the car was bought as a project car. I told him to look online for V8 conversions. If he wants power from a PORSHE engine, he could spend anywhere from $8000 to $15000, AND he would need to special order any parts that should go bad. HOWEVER, if he dropped a V8 into it, that thing would have a seriously wide power band, acceleration would be greatly improved, and he could take that car to any shop for engine repairs. I believe the tranny housing can be fitted with domestic type parts and still keep a killer gear ratio in there. Add a borla exhaust, do the interior and new paint, that sucker will turn some heads. One of the guys I work with wants to do the same with a 1985 Toyota Supra(AWD?)and a loud exhaust. Maybe pull up to a Mustang or whatnot, rev the engine, and say, "HEY! Wanna RACE?!":D LOL!