Sign in to follow this  
tomjakimiak

What's all the griping of V8 "gas guzzlers" when V6's are just as bad?

142 posts in this topic

Blig, where the hell am I supposed to find a chart like that? I could fake something in Excel if that'd make you happy. Let me put it this way, lets say you had a brick and a sharp railroad spike that each weighed 15 pounds. Which would you rather have fall on your foot? As weight stays the same and surface area gets smaller, the force applied by the weight of the object increases exponentially.

Hey, but he wanted me to convince him. I just think his idea of compacted snow offering any grip at all is funny, considering compacted snow developes a layer of ice on top of it real quick. Like packing a snow ball in your hands until it builds up a hard coating of ice.

Exactly... except in really cold conditions, compacted snow isn't that useful in gaining grip. You want to get down to the road surface as much as possible.

Blig is right if we're talking about off-roading in snow, where flotation is important, but not in winter driving...

Originally posted by LotusGT1

- Kurenai, if you reason like that you actually compare different setups with different purposes

Or maybe you just don't understand what I'm saying.

Bull, the way you reason the V8 is the most efficient engine there is. A 800 hp V12 will run easier than a 800 hp V8 at higher speeds...

V8's are no better or worse than any other line-up...

No, I said that a four cylinder putting out equivalent amounts of power will about equal gas mileage because the V8 usually gets that power at much lower RPMs, cancelling out any disadvantage due to its size.

Lotus, I'm not sure your post made sense to me, please try rephrasing it.

But Engine size and speed do not share a common correlation. Speed is more a factor of gearing.

As to the skinny VS wide tire in snow thing, skinny tire definately work better in snow. There is a lot of difference in off roading and snor driving. Mud, has a completely different character than snow. In mud, you need a large, self cleaning lug design on a tire, and a wide tire allows more lugs to act as paddles. When rock crawling, the wider tire also has advantages by having the wider contact patch.

Snow is a conpletely different story. Mud tires generally don't work very well in snow. A good all terrain such as a BF Goodrich allterrain, will run circles around a mud tire such as a superswamper in snow. The skinnier tires do help one to get to the pavement easier as was previously stated. The pount is to put as puch pressure on the bottom of the drive wheels as possible(within reason) and have a good tred pattern. Also, studs in the tire can do wonders.

As to the fuel milage thing, so far my old pontiac gets worse milage in any situation than my Daytona does, and they have similar HP levels, with the GP having about 100 lb/ft more torque, but she does out weigh my daytona by 1500 pounds, and has a 2:73 final drive.

Hey PGP, I don't know where you live, but in Illinois, the studded snow tires have been banned since the mid 70's. And I recall how well my dad's car handled with em. I was only maybe 5 or 6, but studded snow tires was almost the equivalent of driving on a rainy roadway. I will never forget how many blood blisters my dad got having to pull those studs out with a screwdriver. Someone told me one of the main reasons they were banned were from people driving with them on dry roads to peel out and make sparks, but also ripping up the road. So many accidents occured after people had to drive on regular tires. And there's people TODAY that STILL can't drive in the County Area and they've lived there ALL their LIVES. Following too close, too fast a turns, goofing around... it drives me nuts. Then people wonder why there's so many accidents and "ditched" cars every year. I am not too worried about driving my T/A in the snow, not as much as someone hitting me. I'll just have to see how that sucker handles in the snow when I take it to an empty parking lot this winter.

Hey Lotus, I didn't mean to generalize, but it's just that when I see so many of these 4 bangers that push what, 150 HP tops? And they're getting maybe 25 MPG? And V6's that have 200 to 240 HP that are getting almost as many MPG as the V8? For one, you would think the 4 bangers would get at least 33 in the city and the 6's, maybe 25 or slightly better. As for the M3, there's a great weight factor involved. They're LIGHT. One of the best HP to weight ratios that I can think of is the Shelby Cobra. A 530? HP 427 and the car weighs like 2500 pounds or something in that neighborhood. That's why I laughed my azz off when I read the post about Carrol Shelby's idea of stuffing a V8 into a small car. It said "Enzo Ferrari was NOT amused"

and he WASN'T! He got his butt kicked 5 times in a row! If my T/A weighed 1200 pounds with bone stock 305 HP, I would be pulling like low 8's in the 1/4. That's how the Prowler hangs with the SuperVettes and Vipers, with a V6. Throw in a V8 and add wings, it'll fly.:) LOL!

Originally posted by Bliggida

2.73, yeesh, what a highway dawg.  Should change them out.  Like a 3.42 or so.

Tell me about it. I can cruise at 70 mph on the highway at 2000 rpm with a 3 speed turbo 400 transmission. Makes acceleration a littl on the slow side. I would eventually like to go to a more agressive ratio.

TOM:

I live in pennsylvania, where studs are still legal to use during the winter. I have them for my grandprix and they do wonders for my traction in snow. I only run them on the rear so I have no problems with stoping or rain, etc.

Guest Saabman44

Studs are leagal in NY as well, i think by april they have to be off. I know for a fact that you cant have studs in Canada. One of my friends tried getting through with studs on.

Here's one I just thought of. Those new Volkswagon Bettles. I saw the information tag in the window. They're still a 4 banger but the fuel economy is EIGHTEEN in the CITY!! How is that possible? One of my friends at work was showing me an article in the paper about the 2002 cars are WORSE in fuel economy than last year's models. That's one reason I guess I get a bit aggitated over the gas consumption of these new 6 and 4 cylinder cars. There's something SERIOUSLY wrong when a 2000 Volkswagon gets 18 in the city. Fatcat oil conspiracy? It makes you wonder..........:)

Also, I think I read this post in(what thread I forgot) someone mentioned a turbo-superZ28 that had 700 HP and 23 city miles to the GALLON! I was SHOCKED! 23 and 700 HP! WHOAH!! Now THAT'S impressive! :)