Sign in to follow this  
tomjakimiak

What's all the griping of V8 "gas guzzlers" when V6's are just as bad?

142 posts in this topic

I haven't posted here in ages, but what you need to do is look at the final drives. Most of these 4 bangers and V6's are using final drives that are near or above 4.10's used in hotrods. That explains why cars like the Tiburon V6 170 HP gets as much MPG's as my 1999 TransAm with almost 40,000 miles on it. Many of the 4 bangers are around V6 levels and a lot of V6's are V8 levels of fuel consumption. I can't see why those cars just don't up the HP, or God forbid, make a small 3.8 or 3.0 liter V8 and use a milder final drive. Match the power output with the proper(lower) final drive to those cars, and the gas mileage should be the equivalent or even better than a 4.06 or 3.94 geared V6. The highest final drive I've seen was a 4.40 in a GTI Volkswagen 1.8 turbo. 22/29. And yet, I came across a 1992 Morgan +8 18/30 3.9 V8, 5 speed manual yet it's a gas guzzler? It's plain and simple, if it's a V8, it already has a strike against it, no matter what the MPG's are.

Originally posted by redprixgt

i own a V-6 and i don't think there is anything wrong with a V-8, what would an american muscle car be without it.  But if you want to compare on gas milage, don't compare a v8(car) to a V6(suv).  Any Suv is obviously going to get horrible gas milage to do its massive weight. A comparison of a v8 car and v6 car would probably show you somewhat of a difference.  But again, v8's have muscle, it all depends on the preference of the owner. i personally like a little of both which is why i own a 3.8 liter v6.

Its the aeroddynmaics too. And v-8 has the potential to get more milage because it has more power, and thus needs to work less to push the car along. But that is i a hypothetical world of 100% effieciency on everything when really it is not. And about a 350 fiero, my nova weighs in at 2500lbs, and has a fresh 350 with about 350hp. And it has 4 seats, and rides way nicer than a fiero. the fiero probably will handle much better though.

What the hell are you talking about? Aerodynamics? Dude, the cars I'm talking about are aerodynamic. New models, like between 1999 and 2003. Trust me, it's the gear ratios. Try taking a 4.40:1 gear ratio and see what it does to a C5 Vette. It's almost whiplash on wheels. Incredible performance, but the fuel economy will go straight into the sewar. And all the bitching I hear about SUV this and that, V8 powered cars this and that...... but I never hear any bitching about V6 "gas guzzler" this and that. That's why it doesn't make much sense to me. Even the Mitsubishi Dimante's economy is so bad, it's almost rivaling the V8 fuel consumption of 1990! 17/25. That's pretty bad. People are stupid. They want their V6 and 4 cylinder cars to "perform" so the manufacturers stuff em with high end gears. And I think some people have been slowly catching on to that. Slowly, but catching on nonetheless. It just doesn't make any sense why someone would want a car like the Tiburon with 170 HP, 500 to 1,000 pounds less curb weight, and a 6 speed manual to boot to get the same MPG's as a 305/345 HP F-body/Vette 4 speed auto. And by the way, it's not aerodynamic high performance V6 models that sucks the gas. It's the much higher revs from the high end final drive gears.

i didnt realize you were talking about cars. I was replying to the suv post and weight, i was saying areodynamics was also a facor. I know what your saying about final drive too. U have to look at the trans ratios too though. I would really like to have a c5 with 4.40 gears. The gas guzzling v-8 thing is left over from the 70s. That was with carbs and high gas prices, and even then 6 cyls werent much better. Now with digital fuel injection any motor can run good on gas.

Not if you have V6 or 4 banger cars with high final drive gears. That's how cars like the PT Cruiser gets 19/25 and cars like the Tiburon 6 speed manual gets a measley 18/26. Sure, techologywise, they're good on gas, but with the high revs to attempt to bring em close to V8 performance levels means they're gonna suck as much gas. That, and they still don't have the kind of performance a V8 offers.

you are right. I just like v8 powered vehicles because they sound cool. 4 cyclinders sound like weedwackers with a transmission, and i dont know what to call the horrible sound made by a 6 cyclinder. Like rattling cans or something.