Sign in to follow this  
ShamanWS6

430rwhp Supra vs 430rwhp Trans Am

88 posts in this topic

Guest Big Baby Jesus

The comment was completely stupid. It’s like me sitting here and saying all C5s are absolutely no good because a few of them are lemons…

mecca, go look at the entire lineup of sporty/sport cars (sold in america) from toyota, honda and the rest of the jap manufacturers, gime some good torque numbers out of them

Guest Big Baby Jesus

Well, I’m not going to limit it to only sporty vehicles because he said Japanese cars in general. Though even if I did limit it to sporty vehicles I would only be in the right still. I also don’t see why I have to limit it to U.S. vehicles only, but I will.

Lexus 4.3 VVTi V8

(300hp, 325 lb.-ft. of torque. SC430, GS430, LS430)

Lexus 3.0-liter I-6

(215hp, 218 lb.-ft. of torque. IS300, GS300, N/A MKIV)

Infiniti 4.5 V8

(340hp, 333 lb.-ft. of torque. Q45)

Nissan 2.5 I4

(180hp, 180 lb.-ft. of torque. Altima)

Nissan 3.5 V6

(240hp, 246 lb.-ft. of torque. Altima, Maxima)

(btw, I must mention a 280hp variant in the G35 skyline, with I’m sure more torque just don’t know how much off the top of my head)

Anyway, this is just off to top of my head and only a tip of the iceberg. I could easily add several more cars to the list. Either way, his statement is wrong. If you agree with him, they you are wrong too…

Maybe it is because I’m one of if not the biggest Japanese auto fan on the forum. Though I think you should’ve known at least some of these engines. Like the Maxima’s or the 4.3 from Lexus.. Engines you hear about very often.

Like I said, maybe Honda doesn’t offer torque happy engines… I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s because they have no 8 cylinder engines in there line up. Not saying that torque is limited to 8 cylinder because it clearly isn’t. Though it Honda wants to join in the full size truck market (which they do) they better create a decent “torquey” V-8. Simply because a high revving 6 cylinder full size pickup wont do. :D

Anyhoo I'm sleepy..

5 engines .......(including that 180 lb ft amtima one with i dont consider torquey at all)

still i know I am getting very picky so I`ll just shut my mouth

:D

Note how I said 'usually.' Look I made the statement as a reference. A Trans Am with 430 rwhp will definately have more torque than a 430 rwhp Supra. It is just the way the engines are. Yes it is a generalization, but compared to the Trans Am, the Supra doesn't have as much torque.

Yep, that altima engine seems a little weak int the torque department for me. Chryler's non-intercooled 2.5L 4 cyl made 210 lb-ft @ 2500 RPM.

Actually, those torque numbers aren't all that impressive considering you also used the larger displacement engines available over in the usa. I'm not being an a$$ here or trying to flame or anything, but to me most japanese cars have good hp/liter ratios, but their torque/liter rarions aren very impressive.

Guest Big Baby Jesus
Originally posted by xj220

Note how I said 'usually.'  Look I made the statement as a reference.  A Trans Am with 430 rwhp will definately have more torque than a 430 rwhp Supra.  It is just the way the engines are.  Yes it is a generalization, but compared to the Trans Am, the Supra doesn't have as much torque.

Ok, Xj220..

A Trans am will now always have more torque than a supra with matching power. I don't know how you figure that...

I also want to know how you figure a supra dosen't have much torque compared to a Trans Am. Maybe not as much but it won't make it seem like it dosen't have any..

BTW, have you driven both cars like I HAVE?

Maybe the engines don't have as much torque as its american counterparts, but it does have torque.. BTW, please don't compare Japanese engines to American engines in terms of power per liter.

No one ever compared HP/liter between american and japanese cars. So we needn't start that $hit.

Actually, given that the supra engine has the same hp as the f-body, it would stand to reason that it would have less peak torque and arrive at that figure higher in the rpm range simply from it having less displacement. As far as torque goes, more displacement makes it much easier to get that peak torque lower in the rev range, and the ability to get more of it.

Also, the supra's better breathing, and the better breathing of many of honda's Vtec engines, limit torque. Engines which create more turbulence in the combustion chamber, and traditionally flow less seem to make more torque. for example, in the mid-late 1970's, we can agree that the hp output of most V8 engines was really sad, yet they were still able to push just as much torque. The 350 in my GP is rated at an unastounding 165 hp, yet has a little over 300 lb/ft in the torque department which makes for a car that isn't a total slug.

Guest Big Baby Jesus

Ok whatever Pontiac, you’re the one that brought up the power per liter. Not me… So I would appreciate if you kept your cuss words to yourself. I’d also appreciate if we kept this civilized.

Originally posted by PontiacGP

Actually, given that the supra engine has the same hp as the f-body, it would stand to reason that it would have less peak torque and arrive at that figure higher in the rpm range simply from it having less displacement.  

Wrong… If I’m correct the torque peak on the Trans Am arrives at 4000rpm. The Mitsubishi 3.0 twin turbo V6’s (same displacement turbo different set up) peak arrives at 25000rpm. There for your reasoning is wrong. (BTW the Mitsubishi’s rated at 320hp and 315lbs torque (just like the supra)

Not only that, but you don’t even know the output of the supra engine, or the Trans Am for that matter… both are underrated. The Supra Dynos at 320rwhp and 315 lbs. Torque. Thus given the standard loss, the supra is more like 368hp and 362 lbs. torque respectively… I won’t even go into how powerful the LS1 is (shaman can do that for you).

As far as torque goes, more displacement makes it much easier to get that peak torque lower in the rev range, and the ability to get more of it.

Agreed, but turbos and the way they are set up can change all of that… Hell plenty of things can significantly change a power curve especially in a turbo car.

If you would have read my post, then you would have seen that I did NOT say that american cars have better HP/liter. I only used it as an example.

My daytona is also turbo charged and makes it peak torque at 2500 rpm, so I do know about turbos. It uses the mitsubishi TD04 turbo, wich spools faster than the garrets in the other daytona's which allows for the lower torque peak rpm. It doesn't push as much boost in the high rpm though.

There is no need to be ignorant to me. I was not insulting you, and I was just stating what I saw.

...looking at supra specs, i see why you had to use the misubishi as an example of a low end torque vehicle from japan, considering the supra gets it's peak torque at 4000 RPM just like the f-body, though the ls1 makes more at that rpm.

Guest Big Baby Jesus

If I sound like a came off ignorant, forgive me…

You do understand that Japanese cars have torque. Maybe not as much as there American counterparts, but they do make torque. That is all I really wanted to prove.

Also, Japanese and American made engines are incredibly different. Japanese have more rev happy engines, while Americans like them "big and low" LOL. But you see, they are two different ends of the spectrum, so you have to watch what is said.