Sign in to follow this  
TurboREX

McLaren F1 in ALMS event in Portland?

20 posts in this topic

Ive heard a rumor that there will be a McLaren F1 in competition at Portland International for the ALMS series. It was written in a local newspaper, which I have subsequently lost. Im trying to figure out if the newspaper was smoking a rock or if its true. Anyone know how I can find out???

lemme check the website...

Also the McLaren would probably (have to) compete in GTS in which case it would still be competitive I THINK)

Aug 6

8:30 pm (ET), yes its tape delayed:(

Don't worry guys, I have a pit pass and a digital camera, I'll bring back some stories (and hopefully some autographs for me...). The parking lot is a really cool part of the race too. BMW, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo, Viper...all those clubs are there. The coolest thing I saw (since Ive seen the same F50 multiple times on the track) was a Porsche 959. I couldn't believe I was seeing it. I hope to see the local RS200 and some of the other exotics in the area this year. Ill be sure to bring back plenty (possibly a couple hundred...) of cool pics.

Dude, the regular tickets to the ALMS event at Portland are pit passes. Last year I got to watch the Audi mechanics run some final tests on their cars, which is where I got those pics of the Audi with the rear removed. I don't have those pics on photopoint anymore but I posted them a couple times when people asked. If anyone reading this is from the NW and can make it to Portland on August 5th, I strongly recommend it, the feeling of the Caddy and Panoz driving by is simply awesome. You notice I didn't say sound. I said FEELING. You literally feel those cars drive by. Then the Audi's and BMWs(last year, sadly they are no longer competing) speed by with those high revvers. You can't describe it with words. I'll try and get some video so I can post it on the web, for all you guys who can't make it. But for those who can, cough up the $30, its worth it.

Yea tobad the BMW isnt in this year! :) that was one of my favorite cars! Damn F1 project! :mad:

Anyways "IF" a Mac F1-GTR did race, what team?

i saw the ALMS on NBC yesterday...(i think) and they will race on.......LAGUNA SECA!!! that's gonna be awesome...i saw it towards the end and don't see any mclarens...but like i just said i started watching near the end

Originally posted by TurboREX

Probably a small private team.  And it would probably be in the GTS category, and it would probably get eatin alive.  But I'd love to see it if its true.

Do you know if its a long tail or short? I dont think a F1 can race in GT2(GTS), due to rules. I know the ACO dosnt support old GT1 cars, running in GTS. As for yesterdays race, there was no GTP cars entered. Anyone remeamber the Sintura S99?