Sign in to follow this  
ShamanWS6

'01 Mustang Cobra vs '01 Trans Am WS6

27 posts in this topic

This is an interesting competition. A short one, too. :(

http://209.196.172.77/cobrabird2.wmv

http://209.196.172.77/cobrabird3.wmv

http://209.196.172.77/cobrabird4.wmv

The third one is the sweetest... one of the cars spins like a mad thing and still pulls past the other car extremely hard when it hits third gear. I'll let you watch the videos before I let the cat out of the bag. :)

Heh. You must admit, for the pure old skool power for the price, you can't beat the WS6. 325 HP, RWD, leather, 10 speaker Bose stereo, all for under $32,000. If they up it to 335 next year it'll kick ***. It's probably the closest thing to a mid-60s American muscle car being made out there. BTW: What is the Hurst Shifter and what is the difference in a WS6 and a Ram Air Trans Am? I'm slowly convincing my mom to get one over a GTP Grand Prix.

I'm not quite sure what the Hurst is, I know it's on the 6 speed, and not the Automatic. The older Hursts used Dual Gate shifters, which had 2 seperate shift levers.

And the Ram Air Trans-Am IS the WS6. The Ram-Air is one of the things included on the Trans-am with the WS6 performance package. Too bad the only way to get the 1LE package is with the Formula WS6.

If your mom drove the Trans Am WS6 it would have to be the coolest, most unexpected thing in the world. Sure some women drive auto vettes and V6 stangs, but I have never ever ever seen a lady driving a trans am ws6. The closest was some lady who drives her husbands formula 97' with aftermarket ram air hood sometimes.

Its called WS6 because that is the option code for the trans am which includes the ram air hood and functional ram air along with other, less famous options like handling, styling.

I looked it up. The Hurst is a shifter that makes the shifts shorter, making you shift faster. It's like a $250 option. I'm trying to get her too because she wants a Vette but she doesn't wanna spend $45,000 and a GTP is $28,000 so for only $3-4,000 more you can get the performance of almost a Vette and interior etc of the GTP. Plus, I could drive it to school and it'd kick ***. Heh. A neighbor of ours, she has a blue Firebird Formula I think (it's V6, I think it's kidna ugly, the best looking is a Trans Am minus Ram Air).

If it's a new generation that your neighbor has, it doesn't have a V-6. Not if it's a Formula.

And the Hurst is just a style of shifter, it's really nothing hugely special. The transmission is quite nice though, it's a Borg Warner T-56, and shifts suprisingly smooth for a big torquey car I hear. And the Computer Assisted Gear Selection, which is the 1-4 Upshift, is a good idea to save gas/money.

The Formula used to be the high end model Firebird up untill the WS6 with Ram Air became available to the Trans Am.

The WS6 includes the following:

Ram Air hood and air intake

Freer flowing exhaust system

Higher rate front springs

Variable rate rear springs

Stiffer front and rear shocks

Harder bushings

Larger diameter front anti-sway bar

Increased cooling

17 inch wheels with 275/40ZR/17 tires

Hell the newer F-bodies actually have a "black box' recording device, which tells the activies of devices up to 5 seconds before a crash. Neat huh?

lol, it should record cell phone calls. BTW: What is the difference in a Firehawk and WS6? There were two at our dealer last year and they were soo kick ***. BTW: Hers is a V6, so it's prolly just a Firebird. It's really plane, not big spoiler or neato hood, just chrome wheels that's it.

Well for starters the Firehawk is built off of a Formula, not a Trans-Am. And so goes the following:

"An optional freer flowing exhaust system brings HP to 315 and torque to 342 ft-lbs. The stock wheels and tires are replaced with 5-spoke 17" ZR-1 style wheels with 275/40ZR/17 tires. Hurst shifter and floor mats were available options starting in 1995. Bilstein shocks, stiffer rate springs/bushings, and a larger front sway bar make up the optional Level-II suspension which was an available option starting in 1996 along with a Torsen differential, up-level (Trans Am) spoiler, fog lamps, and car cover (all separate options). "Firehawk" badges replace the "Formula" badges on the front fenders and rear bumper. Badges are also added to the front-lower doors. Stickers showing the HP rating were placed on each side of the hood scoop from 1993 to 1995."

Some of this stuff is found on the Trans-Am. But the Firehawk is made to be more well balanced, and a better handling car. I would take one over a WS6 anyday.