mecca tt

American Engines –Vs- Japanese Engines

103 posts in this topic

As I've always said, it depends on the application. An engine that is simple, gets a good blend of power and economy, and has a wider range of applications, is the overall best. But that doesn't make it best for any particular application.

From what I've seen, a pushrod V8 of between 4-5 liters, and as compact as can be made around that displacement, will be able to be used in more different applications effectively than any other engine. From small sports cars to trucks. From drag cars to luxury cars.

Originally posted by greatwhiteshark000

As I stated originally about a couple pages ago when someone mentioned the vettes' amazing mileage I do not think that it is accurate. It just doesnt seem as possible to squeeze great gas mileage out of a 350 some odd engine, when my mustang gt gets worse mileage than it.

I always wondered if the tranny was geared like my mustang with no skipshift what the mileage would be. Would it still be 20Mpg or maybe closer to cars to my mustang gt at 18mpg or less.  

It is a good trick for advertisement purposes be it that gas mileage is a big concern these days, and has always been a strong point in the vettes favor.

You also have to remember the Vette is lighter and sleeker, that plays a role too. I still don't know nothing about this skipshift but the Vettes max RPM in gears 1-5 is 6500RPM but in 6th gear it's lowered to 4000RPM. On the highway you can cruise at 55mph on 6th with your engine not working nearly as hard.

Fifth is overdrive. Sixth is a *very* high overdrive meant for economy.

Yea it's overdrive...... I got one question though. I remember C&D did the 0-150-0 test. At 150mph your in 5th gear on the Vette and then you press on the brakes. You'd put it into 6th to slow down the inertia in the engine right?

I don't think so... although I could be wrong. I remember the 0-150-0 article saying that they put in the clutch as soon as they hit 150 because the engine's power would keep it going.

Originally posted by HeavyRightFOOT

Yea it's overdrive...... I got one question though. I remember C&D did the 0-150-0 test. At 150mph your in 5th gear on the Vette and then you press on the brakes. You'd put it into 6th to slow down the inertia in the engine right?

Nope. If you have to make an emergency-stop, just hit the brakes real hard. Downshifting only takes time....

is 6th gear very economical....yet at the same time.....the gear in which the highest speed can be achieved??

Oh yea....here is another question i have....how come most cars aren't dynoed at 5th or 6th gear??? why is it usually 4th gear?? What determines the gear u redline on the dyno??