mecca tt

American Engines –Vs- Japanese Engines

103 posts in this topic

I agree with gimpy, the turbo dodge engines of the 80's were kick ***. There were no 4 bangers that could touch their performance when they were in their prime. The bottom ends of these motors are pretty stout. They can handle 25 psi of boost no problem stock as long as you up the fuel flow.

But other than those 80s Dodge engines (which I think Mitsubishi had a hand in) I can't think of too many good US 4 cylinder engines, maybe the Iron Duke 2.5 from the Fiero, but I wouldn't consider that "great".

When a japanese manufacturer starts making over 2,000hp without any power adders at all, we'll talk.

Originally posted by ShamanWS6

When a japanese manufacturer starts making over 2,000hp without any power adders at all, we'll talk.

So, thats what makes a great engine?

Originally posted by Winstondog

But there are some killer examples of small American engines, some of which have been mentioned.

Other than the 80s Dodge turbo engines name an American 4 cyl that could be considered great compared to it's Japanese counterpart in the last 30 years that's been used in a widely produce vehicle.

A couple of things I thought of:

- can anybody define the engines of Japanese and American? are they the company?

because these days many companies are owned by larger companies who share platforms and engines. Mitsubishi makes engines for chrysler, jaguar and ford .... so i presume we mean the originator of the engine.

4 Cylinder engines are japanese specialty?

maybe they are superior because the americans choose to use V8's and V6's that produce straight torque throughout the RPM curve, so there is no need for gizmos like Hondas and turbocharger. That doesnt mean they are worse.

- V6 Engines are equal with america and japan? maybe focus on those engines because they are the ones most shared by both japan and america in terms of producing power:

Maxima V6

Monte Carlo V6

Eclipse V6

Prowler V6

Acura Type S V6

Honda Accord V6

New Altima V6

-i do think its amazing on a side note that the integra r, with minimal torque and not heavy on the hp and 4cylinders can run circles around cars with much greater power.

Like everyone says, depends on application, all make good engines, etc. For me though, I'd take an American V-8 anyday. Not only are they torque monsters (that's what I'm after), but damn that exhaust note is beautiful.