Sign in to follow this  
jason_ding

Best and worst car names: Your opinion?

111 posts in this topic

Hey my mom has a Beretta, trust me, under-rated. It has the same engine as the older Grand Prix's, you don't hear people bad mouthing them. And a Beretta will take any GP(same engine, smaller car), as long as it's not a GTP(we'll leave that up to the Z26). With the sport suspension package, and no other options(like my moms, the sport suspension cars say "Sport" on the side) they are pretty quick cars. My friends CRX can't keep up, neither can another friends '93 GP SE, same goes for a '93 5.0 T-Bird. Unless you've really had a chance to drive one, like I have, don't bad mouth the Beretta!!!

The Beretta is basically the poor man's Camaro around here. This guy I used to work with had one (a GTU which apparently is the top model) and tried to race me in my Accord and I just killed him. Berettas are really popular in MN though and I've been trying to figure out why. For every riced Civic I see I look at 10 riced out Berettas.

Originally posted by Twin Turbo

Yeah, Isdera Commendatore is one sweet name for a car.  

these are quite good:

isdera commendatore

veyron

chiron

hunaudieres

boxster

berlinetta

viper

vision ( slr )

detomaso

corvette

lancer

BTW, Pajero means in Spain pimp or something

When the French say MR2, it sounds like 'merde' which means sh!t in French.

I know where you live and I know you very well, try to guess who I am :)

The GTU wasn't the top model Beretta, that would be the GTZ for the older style, and Z26 for '93 and up.. A kid at school has a black '95 Z26 5 speed that his dad bought wrecked and fixed it up, it would kill basically ANY stock Accord there is, 170 horses out of a 2900 pound car, compared to the 190 horses for the 3350 pound Accord EX 3.0. Oh and the Z26 had just a tad under 200 Pound feet of torque, while the Acord EX has 180. A '93 GTZ would actually be faster than the Z26, I just don't like the way they look. 185 horses out of about 2800 pounds, 5 speed Muncie Getrag, Level 3 FE7 suspension package, mmmm.

My mom's Beretta cost a little over $12,000 in '94, not bad for the price. They also get great gas milage.

The Beretta only ran for 9 years, but was available with 7 different engines.

"The Beretta GTU is a step up from the GT with features such as the 2.8L V6, alloy 16" rims, level III suspension, ground-Fx, fog lamps, and other things. The GTU was capable of .92 lateral G's on the skid tests with its 125hp@4200rpm 2.8L engine."

Here is a picture of the 385 horse engine that would have went in the All Wheel Drive Beretta, but of course, GM decided not to make it. http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/che...45/berettae.jpg

And here is a picture of a nice Z26 http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/che.../z26beretta.jpg

If there is one car I know better than pretty much any other car, it's the Beretta. And like I said, unless you have actually driven one, you shouldn't talk bad about them. If I could take you for a ride in my mom's, I guarantee it would suprise you. It has suprised ALOT of people, and it's just the standard 3100 V-6 base(with FE3 Level 2 sport suspension).

We have had ZERO major problems with my mom's car, and it is getting ready to roll over to 100,000 miles, and has been driven pretty hard. We used to drive it over 100 miles a day to Louisville and back for about 2-3 months straight. The only problem it has, is after driving it hard for a extended period it willl over-heat. It's only happened to me once, and that was from driving REAL hard.

I'm sorry if I sound like a real jack ***, but you guys were basically trashing the Beretta. And I know better.

Bonneville is a good name!

One that just came to name is the Mercury Villager, i guess it is an alright name but i dont like it.

Originally posted by Winstondog

Whats wrong with Bonneville?  I like that name.

Neon?  Yeah, thats a pretty **** name.

lol.. i agree... bonneville is cool

and about neon.. lol.. i think they would have had better luck with " incandescent" or " fluoroscent" or some other lighting scheme.. lol

Yeah, and what's all this bad mouthing about Camry? Have you actually driven one? Below 40mph is quick and feels like my dads caprice but from 40-65 it feels like a geo metro(gearing) after that I'd be surised if many cars could keep up till 100(3rd gear 4000rpm, near the torque peak). As for comfort and looks you decide, but it certanl ain't bad looking and are not too common around here(can't say the same for V6 pony cars).

dude, v6 5 speed camry's are awesome cars man..

the name still sucks though.. what the hell is a camry?

Many car names sound funny or weird.

That is usually because they belong to a language other than english or our native one that we cannot understand. That is why some names are "greek" to you (that phrase doesn't count for me-I am greek...hehe).

Also many car names are greek.

ie Corona which means crown in Greek (how many cars does Toyota have by this name?)

or Eclipse which is also adopted by the english language.

Sometimes you can find cars named as Greek letters ie :Delta (Ä-ä).

Anyway,

many names sound silly to us here in Greece.

Cortina is an example that sounds like coortina which means curtain in Greek.

Finally, (and sorry if I borred you with my Greek stuff) I must say that I dont like number names for cars.

If I had a Ford 123 I would think that it would be just another model of the company and more likely the older model of Ford 124. But a Ford Cortina MKIII has its own charachter. I hope you understand my point.

I dont see Integra being a bad name, I think its rather cool.

Supra is an awesome name!

Mustang is a cool name, so is Camaro, and TransAm is way cool.

Shelby Cobra is cool too.