Sign in to follow this  
Vorden

How much does it cost to get into space?

232 posts in this topic

say wha? only 34k to get into space? you show me where i can get into space for less than $500,000,000 and ill go to space. :)

Actually, some private investors just dumped a load of mony on MirCorp to renovate the space station. Up until then, due to lack of funding, they were going to abandon it entirely and let up drop out of space and burn up in earths atmosphere. This private investor wants to prepare the space station for exotic space tourism, space advertising, and medical research. They estimate that it will initially cost $25,000,000 per head to get into space, but if it takes off, they ahve estimated that they can get that figure as low as $4,000,000.

BTW - just a quick side note. The temperature shielding panels that are used to prevent re-entry burn-up on the space shutle are very interesting. They shield heat so well that a 2inch x 2inch x 2inch block of this stuff, with a temperature of 2400 degrees Farenheit can and glowing red hot, can be held in your hand. It will actually feel cold because it will still absorb heat from your hand. Just like a metal pipe does.

A *manned* mission to mars....yeah...probably would cost about 45 billion...cause there is TONS of things they've still got to develop.

Most rockets cost about 10K a pound to get up into space...and that's just low orbit!

Umm...that heat shield stuff? It's a titanium/teflon mesh of sorts...I've played with some in lab before. One big problem - it's brittle as hell...thus horrible for brake pads and such. Plus...you're never going to see the 5000K temperatures on a brake pad that you get when you re-enter the atmosphere from space...thus there really is no point.

Does anyone here think that NASA should not go to Mars? I think that it is important to go and explore. Anyways, it is inevitable that humans will someday inhabit The Red Planet. Terraforming will be a long term project to be thought about though. That is, if in the future humans want to walk around mars, not in space suits, but in T-shirts. The bottom line is that "we're multiplying faster than the earth can withstand".

Could astroids be natures way of periodically clensing the earth of dangerous parasites that haven't been able to spread their genetics beyond earth"? lol

[This message has been edited by J S (edited 04-16-2000).]

Will, what I meant about the 45 billion dollar remark is that a mission to mars is too complex for somebody to put an accurate price on it.

It was implied that the price tag was definate. I don't think a final plan has even been made, so nobody could know how much it would cost.

As too the stuff being brittle, how can it survive launch, landing and everything in between? I would imagine that a lot of stress is put on anything om the space shuttle, especially, the covering.

[This message has been edited by tylerdurden (edited 04-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by tylerdurden (edited 04-16-2000).]

30-50 billion is the estimated mark NASA and many professionals have come up with for a manned mission.

I know of about 4 missions NASA is trying to do right now (2 of them going on at my school)...the one to put a flyable "aresplane" into the atmosphere of mars is estimated to cost about 2.5 billion. But you've got to remember...this is unmanned.

Some spy satelites cost about 1 billion to launch...(like the one they blew up off of the pad about a year ago).

About the heat shield material...brittle just means it isn't capable of a lot of plastic deformation. Also, IIRC, the heat shield stuff isn't very durable...they've got to replace it every 2-3 missions (could be more...but I can't remember)..and you could drive a screwdriver through the first few millimeters of it (it's kind of like a high density foam). Generally a few grooves in the surface won't cause much of a problem (the shields do get hit by small particles when in space...and sometimes have to be repaired out there...)

Obviously.....not durable enough for a car. Plus...it's $$$$ as hell...a few hundred bucks for a square inch.

The ceramic that the heat shield tiles are made of is made by a company called Hexcell. You can buy it in chunks, or even as a cloth (similar to dry carbon fiber weave). In cloth form, you can hold a blow torch to one side, and your hand on the other...

As to holding that chunk in your hand while glowing red hot, unless the torch is still on it, it won't be red hot. It dissapates heat so fast that as soon as the heat source is removed, it instantly cools back to surrounding temparature.

Bits of that cloth have been used as engine firewalls in F1 cars. The cost is incredible, but, like carbon fiber, is coming down.

Hey ... tell your dad that the HR dept at Ridley SUCKS!! I've put my resume into their system at least a dozen times...and they always "lose it". I've met a lot of the people who work there...namely the wind tunnels and such....and trying to be as professional as possible - they aren't really the brightest people in the world either.

(I wouldn't go bragging about the V-22 too much...3rd one just crashed last weekend..killed 19 marines). The V-22, although amazing in concept, is really just a pile of junk. The design is outdated, and it isn't even efficient at ALL (try lifting fans....much better....the V-22 is horrible in cruise "airplane" condition). I studied about it and wrote up a proposal (AHS 16th annual Bell/Boeing competition). Our lifting fan theory worked...we won ;)

Other than that....Boeing is a grossly "fat" company...which is going to have tons of problems in the not to distant future.

The X-32 VentureStar never worked...

(are they still planning to help with the X-33? And what about the X-30 Orient Express? ... much better designs in my opinion)