Sign in to follow this  
Twin Turbo

American cars suck

206 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

SpeedRacer    0

Well American Cars does not suck!!!!! They are cheap with alot of horsepower...... I don't like american car myself but if you think about the price for the horse your getting. Well let say that your saving alot of money....

'_'Speedracer signing out!!!!!

Twin Turbo    0

Are you sure that the Holden could beat the M5?. Let's see, the Holden as I remember, 408 hp, the M5 has 400 hp, that's quite the same. Acceleration Holden GTS: 5.1 sec, M5:5.2 sec. OK in these things the Holden and the M5 are pretty the same. But when it comes to sportiveness the M5 wins. The M5 has better handling, suspension and everything. I've already said, it's the totality that counts. The Holden GTS might have a powerful engine, but that doesn't mean that it beats the M5. I wouldn't be surprised if the Holden would have automatic gearbox, that's not sporty at all.

John    0

Oh HELL no, Twin Turbo don;t be introducing Ferrari's into your riduclous quest to bash Americans cars. I used to be like you (unfortunately). After many hundreds of discussions flames on this board I realized one thing...it's a matter of preference.

But it's true what they say there's no substitute for displacement. American V8's adopted this concept; it's easy, cheap and effective. I don't like the fact that a 70K Viper can beat a $150,000 dollar Ferrari, but think of it this way...is it more desireab;e? Well if you only care for bang for buck speed then sure. Hence "matter of preference."

I appreciate a company that uses race derived technology, takes a minimalistic approach, it's effiecient, refined, it's europian way. I just gain some comfort knowing that the europian cars work with less and can acheive great handling, super fast cars. And manage to look better, but again that comes down to preference...nah they look better :)

Well one thing I hate when people bring up is price. Comparing domestic to europian exotic; if you have to ask why there's sucha price difference...I'll quit while I'm ahead.

I don't know who said that a Viper would beat an F1 on the track is just wrong. Aerodynamics, braking, acceleration, maybe not handling, but an F1 would spank a Viper. The newer breed of supercars are equiped with much larger engines

Ferrari F60 - 6L V12

Mercedes SLR - 5.5L supercharged V8

Porsche Carrere GT - 5.5L V8 (I beleive)

Lamborghini Canto - 6L V12

TVR Speed 12 - 7.7L V12

These cars will certainly be the answer. But t-turbo I seriously suggest you zip it now, you have no fuckin arguement.

John it was me. I don't know I look at some tests of the Mac and the Viper just kills it. Like in slalom and skidpad, in addition I've been hearing the Mac is pretty scary to drive. Maybe it will beat the Viper but it won't beat it by much. Some of you guys seem to think (twin turbo) that the because the Macleran costs over a million dollars it will stomp all over the Viper, it won't.

Drive X    0

Also.. something everyone probably already knows, but didn't bother to bring up... Corvettes are detuned to meet emission regulations. They are capable of speeds well over 220mph.

So.. am I correct in saying that the Hennessey Viper GTS-R is the definitive American muscle car of today? Nothing is faster, nothing handles better, nothing faster can be bought with the same amount of money.

I think PM said it best:

"If you're driving a Viper, nobody can touch you. You're the King of the Street. Ruler of Red Lights. You're driving the absolute quickest car anybody can buy–a 450-hp rocket that runs the quarter-mile in 12.08 seconds at 118.51 mph."

Thats WITHOUT the Hennessey upgrades. As for concept vehicles, how about the 2001 Camaro ZL1. *grin* Old school big block able to do an 11 second quarter.

Well, it may cost more then the Viper, but doesn't the Diablo have a faster 1/4 mile time? The Viper has certainly improved from the earlier years; a fantastic piece of machinery. It out accelerates Ferrari's, better g's and slalom then a Porsche Turbo, MUCH improved braking, close to if not beating the Euros in that category. It may not be as technologically advanced as other higher priced cars, but in this case less is more, except it's engine, more IS more. :D

hondakiller    0

ok it just hit as to why american engines are so much bigger. how many people buy a porsche and tune it up and try to make it even faster? not many. how many people take corvettes and try to make them faster? more than the porsche. that is the essence, american cars are built the way they are to leave room for modification. if a corvette (shudder) had a 4cylinder with the same performance, then it wouldnt be as moddable. there would be no sledgehammer no lingenfelter twin turbo etc etc. twin turbo do you know anything about the mechanics of an automobile? yes in standing acceleration a 996 turbo would beat a viper but out of the turns a viper has the edge by far. you american guys know why and im going to tell you other folks why. TORQUE, the viper has the flattest and fattest torque curve of just about any car ever made. the numbers of the turbo and viper are close, the viper only makes 35 more lb-ft but the porsche has a narrower power band compared to the viper. the viper has masses of torque from anywhere in the rev range. and drivetrain configuration isnt everything either, just because the porsche has AWD doesnt mean it will outhandle the viper. in fact it wont, the viper puts up better numbers across the board in handling. the porsche is marginally faster straightline but the viper will take it out of the corners guaranteed. and as much as you are trying to downplay it, price always matters. we know the euro cars cannot compete for the price at all. and you have tried to downplay it but its not working. for 50k beat the cobra r and for 70k beat the viper. the 70k car that comes to mind is the m5, which isnt anywhere near the viper's league. i dont hate euro cars its just that i hate when people say stupid unfounded things.

rthompson    0

I can't believe this guy says that money dosen't count. That is only true if you can actually afford the MAC. if you can you go right ahead and buy one. To me and most other people it is the difference between owning one and dreaming. i prefer to aim for a car that is attainable. I know i will never own a MAC so it would be stupid of me to say that everything else sucks in comparison.

What kind of car do you drive?

TeamGM    0

I would get involved here, but it seems kind of pointless. Anybody that says American cars suck, is just trying to start something. I, myself, am going to stay out of this one.

i dont know the viper might be pretty close to a mclaren around a track (at least a track with a lot of turns)

but no drive x i dont think that the hennessey vipers (there is no hennessey GTS-R) are the best sports cars or however you worded it around. i think they are excellent cars and extemely good for the relatively cheap amount of money they cost.

Originally posted by Twin Turbo

If McLaren would build as much F1's as Dodge does Vipers, the F1 would be cheaper than it is now.

yes congradulations, but they dont...so it isnt.

also someone "with the money" wont necessarily buy a euro car over an american car. im sure winston would take a mint condition 64 1/2 mustang or 68 Stingray 427 over your beloved M5

I Burn Rice    0

First of Twin Turbo is a very opinionated and misinformed person, not quite an idiot. Second, this is a completley opinionated topic. Its hard to compare American, Japanese, and Euro cars. All of these cars are so different. European cars are ultra expensive, but they offer super prestige and an awesome mix of luxury and speed. American cars offer tremendous performance for little money, little lower luxury and pretige. Japanese cars offer great reliability, good performance and a good mix of luxury and prestige. Personally Id take a Nismo 400R over almost anything.

Back to Top ↑