Sign in to follow this  
fba mofo

'96 Impala SS vs. '98 Grand Prix GTP

20 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

fba mofo    0

100% stock, that means absolutely no upgrades...

Please give comments about each category...

1) Style, Ride, & Comfort

2) Performance (acceleration, handling, etc)

3) Any other personal reflections

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

jason_ding    0

I'm not too sure about styling or performance, but in this case the Impala SS definitely wins it for me. It's purely American, while the GTP doesn't even know itself whether it's American or a Euro knockoff.

86 Shelby    0

1 Style) Impala SS all the way.

Ride) Again, Impala SS firm and controlled yet smooth

Comfort) Impala SS yet again. Plush seats, center counsol and analog Gauges in '96

2 Performance) It's a wash, niether seems to do much better than the other across the board in acceleration. The GTP wins outright in the twisties though.

3 I believe that GM got the whole enchilada right with the Impala. Great styling despite it's humble beginnings. Great V8 power, large aluminum rims, wide-ass meats, subdued badging, room for 5 and plentiful parts. Too bad they cancelled it right when they perfected the new-age muscle car, in the heritage of the originals.

Viperleb    0

Imapala SS's are nice, but I wouldn't choose one over a GTP. They're too big! And also, the ones they sell her in North America aren't as nice as ones they sell in Saudi Arabia. Over there they have much wider tires. I mean, they have very very wide tires over there(stock). But over there they also made them as Caprice SS's after they stopped making the Impala SS's.

Looks wise the Grand Prix is better looking IMO The Grand Prix is also better performing in all categories I'm sure.

Modifying wise, I think I'd go with the Impala. Lower it a bit, very dark black tint... someone once posted a very nice link over her about modified Impalas and one of them was in the 10's!

J S    0

In the quarter and 0-60 I'd give it to the GTP Supercharged even though I think the SS has a few more horses(correct me if I'm wrong), they both look good to me.

Beer    0

ok, the GTP is supercharged, has 240 horses, has a lot of features.

the impala prob has same amound of horses. the only thing the impala would have over and grand prix is the weight.

these stats are stock. but yall are forgettin one thing, most cars dont race on the streets stock, if you put a lot of time and money into a grand prix, you could get a lot more power, im not sure of too many features for an impala. just because SS is on the car, doesnt mean its gonna go 160. comaro has a much bigger engine to start with, so yeah the SS makes the status mark.

dont get me wrong, i like impalas, but for racing, gimme the GTP, it will blow the impala off the road.

LanEvo    0

Impalas baby...obviously...

btw...can u guys do me a HUGE favor?

can u guys tell me the years of rear-wheel drive impalas?(if there are any)

THX

Thad    0

I have owned a '96 Black Cherry SS and a '98 Red two door GTP.

GTP

Interior, hands down, GTP wins with creature comforts and style, MANY gadgets like Heads Up Disaplay. It's FWD so that sucks and ride is fair with some road noise. Performance from 0-100mph is good, but a interstate race is better left to the Imaplla.

Implalla

Interior sucked, dashboard looked liked an ironing board, VERY plain for a $26K car. Ride is very comfortable, loved taking trips in this car. Performance 0-60 was pretty good, but 60MPH+ this thing ROCKED. On the interstate is where it shined with it's tall gears. It's RWD so that's cool.

All in all they have their advantageds/Disadvantages. If the GTP was RWD, then I would have kept it. It wasn't bad for a comuter car, saved wear and tear on my Vette.

Back to Top ↑