2006 Impala won't start..

3 replies to this topic

#1 ktikal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

My car has been acting funny for a few weeks now. When i'd go to start it, it would sound as if it wasn't going to start but then it would start and run just fine. On one occasion i stopped the car, turned it off and then turned it on again to see what would happen and the lights flash, the doors clicked and it never turned on. Well the next day it started just fine(sluggish at the start) and so i took it to Napa Auto Parts to have my battery tested. They said it was "failing" so i bought a new one. Well I started the car yesterday to warm it up before installing the new battery (I live in MT so it's very cold out right now) and after replacing the battery it won't even turn over now. The key less entry locks and unlocks the car, the lights all come on when i turn the key, the chimes chime, the radio works in the "on" position but when i turn the key to start the only sound that i hear is like a clicking in the steering column
We checked the fuses under the hood and all was fine.. Any suggestions? I'm going to have to tow it to the dealership to have them look at it.. and i'd rather know if that'd be worth it or not.
I heard something about an "immobilizer" that is in some cars.. but i'm not sure if my 2006 Impala would have this or not..

#2 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts
  • Year:1986
  • Make:Mazda
  • Model:RX-7 GX (FC)

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Hmmm... sounds wonky. My first guess would be that the battery you bought is defective/didn't have a charge. A clicking starter usually would indicate that the battery is finished. Did you try the old battery again? Do you have a quick booster so that you could at least get it started? Also if you have a voltmetre, I would check the voltage from the alternator to see if it is charging properly while it is running.

#3 ktikal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yeah we ended up putting the old battery back in and same thing. This afternoon I got in it and try to start it again (wishful thinking) and now the "service battery charging system" light came on.
Because i've been having problems starting it (sluggish) i assume this is a starter issue? I know next to nothing about cars so i'm trying to get a few ideas before i take it to a mechanic..

#4 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts
  • Year:1986
  • Make:Mazda
  • Model:RX-7 GX (FC)

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

View Postktikal, on 21 November 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

Yeah we ended up putting the old battery back in and same thing. This afternoon I got in it and try to start it again (wishful thinking) and now the "service battery charging system" light came on.
Because i've been having problems starting it (sluggish) i assume this is a starter issue? I know next to nothing about cars so i'm trying to get a few ideas before i take it to a mechanic..
The starter isn't the problem (well it could be, but it's unrelated), the problem seems to be your charging system/alternator like I suggested. I suggest checking the voltage whilst the engine is running like I said at the battery terminals. If not bring it to a shop, have them test it and possibly replace it if necessary.

Also, be sure to check the condition of your battery terminals. If they are full of residue, it is difficult for electricity to pass through.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users