Car wont start...cold weather...

15 replies to this topic

#1 hunter5402008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

I have a 95 dodge neon that sat for a day then the weather got cold and it wouldnt start it ran fine before i checked the battery and clean the connections not sure whats goin on it tries to turn over but wont fire....

#2 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts
  • Year:1986
  • Make:Mazda
  • Model:RX-7 GX (FC)

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

View Posthunter5402008, on Dec 23 2009, 05:08 PM, said:

I have a 95 dodge neon that sat for a day then the weather got cold and it wouldnt start it ran fine before i checked the battery and clean the connections not sure whats goin on it tries to turn over but wont fire....
It's called your fuel system is frozen and it needs some get up and go. Try giving it some gas while cranking. If that doesnt work you're honestly going to have to push it to a warm place.

#3 poppy1070

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

View Posthunter5402008, on Dec 23 2009, 10:08 PM, said:

Hi from over the pond, not sure if this will help but my elderly neighbour covers his bonnet with old carpet the evening prior to a big freeze and his car starts everytime (unlike mine) I have started doing the same and hey presto, no stomping about ringing the recovery service on a morning. (I want a garage for Christmas)
Hope this helps

#4 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

View Postpoppy1070, on Jan 25 2010, 08:35 AM, said:

Hi from over the pond, not sure if this will help but my elderly neighbour covers his bonnet with old carpet the evening prior to a big freeze and his car starts everytime (unlike mine) I have started doing the same and hey presto, no stomping about ringing the recovery service on a morning. (I want a garage for Christmas)
Hope this helps

View Postmarry, on Feb 3 2010, 03:04 PM, said:

Hello All,

It happens in cold weather, as well it shows that your car engine get freeze.

#5 Wally

I know More Than You

• Members.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:20 PM

View PostElite_Deforce, on Dec 24 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

It's called your fuel system is frozen and it needs some get up and go. Try giving it some gas while cranking. If that doesnt work you're honestly going to have to push it to a warm place.

If it's an injection engine how do you give it some gas without an accelerator pump?

I'm not familiar with freezing climates, but is there a requirement to change oil viscousity for winter months? How is your coolant temp sensor? How are the O2 sensors? Can you pull the codes to see if there is a flagged fault?

#6 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

View PostWally, on Feb 3 2010, 11:20 PM, said:

If it's an injection engine how do you give it some gas without an accelerator pump?

I'm not familiar with freezing climates, but is there a requirement to change oil viscousity for winter months? How is your coolant temp sensor? How are the O2 sensors? Can you pull the codes to see if there is a flagged fault?
Correct me if I'm wrong, fuel injectors are electric?

#7 Wally

I know More Than You

• Members.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

Yeah, but they are already running in enrichment mode on cold start. Pushing on the pedal will unlikely squirt more fuel in, if anything the programme will see the TPS as out of calibration go into fallback mode. Because the only driver control is the throttle, pushing on the pedal will only exacerbate the problem of too lean a cold start mixture. In carby engines the choke strangled air flow, while pumping the accelarator did nothing but cause fuel to squirt out of the accelration jet ... eventually the ponding fuel in the manifold would give off enough vapour for ithe pots to injest and ignite or trickle down onto the piston heads and flood.

#8 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

View PostWally, on Feb 4 2010, 06:42 PM, said:

Yeah, but they are already running in enrichment mode on cold start. Pushing on the pedal will unlikely squirt more fuel in, if anything the programme will see the TPS as out of calibration go into fallback mode. Because the only driver control is the throttle, pushing on the pedal will only exacerbate the problem of too lean a cold start mixture. In carby engines the choke strangled air flow, while pumping the accelarator did nothing but cause fuel to squirt out of the accelration jet ... eventually the ponding fuel in the manifold would give off enough vapour for ithe pots to injest and ignite or trickle down onto the piston heads and flood.
You overestimate how sophisticated the Neon is. ;)

#9 bfeeney

Ultimate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Year:1989
  • Make:Pontiac
  • Model:Trans Am

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

View PostElite_Deforce, on Feb 4 2010, 07:42 PM, said:

You overestimate how sophisticated the Neon is. ;)
Wally is right, or at least on the right track. A '95 neon might be low-tech because it's junk- (I had one) but it is still a 2-3 gen. FI so you do have to think about sensors.

#10 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

View Postbfeeney, on Feb 4 2010, 07:55 PM, said:

Wally is right, or at least on the right track. A '95 neon might be low-tech because it's junk- (I had one) but it is still a 2-3 gen. FI so you do have to think about sensors.
Want to come see my RX-7? ;)

#11 Wally

I know More Than You

• Members.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

You both pose valid points. ;)

#12 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

View PostWally, on Feb 4 2010, 08:27 PM, said:

:lol:

#13 afridz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

View PostWally, on Feb 4 2010, 08:27 PM, said:

juz do the procedures for cold start.. i mean if u ve choke in ur car.. enagae it.. give more fuel than air to engine.. gud luck!!

#14 bfeeney

Ultimate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Year:1989
  • Make:Pontiac
  • Model:Trans Am

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

View Postafridz, on Feb 4 2010, 11:00 PM, said:

juz do the procedures for cold start.. i mean if u ve choke in ur car.. enagae it.. give more fuel than air to engine.. gud luck!!
You do know this isn't like texting on a cell phone where you only have 160 characters, type like your not in junior high school. And will you find the choke on MPFI engine for me, I must have overlooked that one.

#15 Elite_Deforce

Car Forum Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

View Postbfeeney, on Feb 5 2010, 01:19 PM, said:

You do know this isn't like texting on a cell phone where you only have 160 characters, type like your not in junior high school. And will you find the choke on MPFI engine for me, I must have overlooked that one.
What if he is in junior high? And only blackberries are limited to 160

Edited by Elite_Deforce, 05 February 2010 - 01:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users